Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

16:9 landscape photos cropped to fit full screen in iOS 9

Has anybody else experienced this frustrating bug, and have you found a solution?

Photos that I've taken on my Sony A6000 camera are in 16:9 aspect ratio. Now when viewing them on my iPad Air, iOS 9 decides that they should be stretched and cropped to fill the full 4:3 screen resolution, instead of showing the full photo with the black bars across the top and bottom that one will usually see when viewing 16:9 photos on a 4:3 device. Double tapping to zoom in and then out again, results in them displaying correctly. This is incredibly annoying, and it didn't happen with iOS 8.

If anyone has a solution I'd love to hear it.

iPad Air, iOS 9

Posted on Sep 20, 2015 6:26 AM

15 replies

Sep 28, 2015 1:11 AM in response to roger136

It seems that this is an issue affecting photos taken with non-Apple devices. If that's the case and it isn't rectified soon then i'll be moving to a different device.

Oct 21, 2015 10:34 AM in response to jiiwee

If it's intentional behaviour it's insane.

I do a lot of photography and design work. I cannot currently use the iPad to show artwork to clients in the aspect ratio they requested because iOS 9 determines it should be cropped and zoomed to fill the full screen.

I'm just about done with Apple and their arrogance. The main reason I bought the iPad was because of it's great screen but it's now all but useless to me.

Nov 29, 2015 4:23 AM in response to bgrace11890

I am having the same issue, the images from my camera are 3:2 and I crop in the same proportions, what I find strange is that viewing a portrait image in landscape orientation the whole image is shown, rotate the iPad to portrait orientation and the image is cropped, the same happens the other way a landscape viewed in portrait orientation is fine rotate it to landscape orientation and the cropping occurs, it is not a massive amount but enough to ruin the image composition. I have tried the zoom in/out as suggested above and whilst it does work it is not convenient when showing images to other people. I have made this post in the hope a solution will be found and I will receive a notification.

Nov 29, 2015 6:16 AM in response to Community User

I do think it's a ridiculous problem that inhibits professionals and creatives alike from showcasing their work with the iPad.

I have found a workaround, that you all might try if you're in a pinch. I've got a client meeting on Monday, and resorted to taking my images into Illustrator. I made an artboard that's the 3:4 ratio, like the iPad screen. I fit my image in the center of this, and left white bars at the top and bottom.

I then saved the image as a PNG and kept the background as transparent. This makes the iPad think the image is the right size for the screen, but it's really not. This works when the screen is black in preview mode, or when the screen is white (no bars visable anywhere)

DOn't know why it took me so long to figure out this work around, but it's still ridiculous nonetheless. Maybe this can help a few people in a pinch, but Apple really needs to fix this asap.

Jul 18, 2016 5:10 PM in response to Community User

I'm glad I'm not the only one with this problem. I recently started with iCloud and noticed this problem. I'm uploading my Lightroom CC exported .jpgs (from RAW Canon 5dmk3) via Windows 10 to iCloud.com. The photos all display perfectly via Edge on iCloud.com on that Windows 10 computer. My iPad Pro 12.9" 128GB with the photos app does what you're experiencing to some, but not all the images. If I click edit on the iPad, the full image appears, but goes back to cropped and zoomed after exiting edit mode. I cannot zoom in and zoom out to have it display correctly on the iPad. I also sync with my iPhone 6+ and all the images display properly in landscape mode in the photos app.

So for me, it's only a problem with the iPad Pro - but one of the main reasons I purchased it was for photography! Seems like an obvious bug that needs correcting.

16:9 landscape photos cropped to fit full screen in iOS 9

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.