Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

IOS 9Messages App wont get rid of gray audio message bar

Messages App wont get rid of gray audio message bar with "0.00" time notification

iPhone 5, iOS 9

Posted on Sep 20, 2015 7:13 AM

3 replies

Sep 21, 2015 7:25 AM in response to Dirk Bolle

Hi Dirk,

Welcome back to Apple Support Communities - it's been a while! I hope we will see you coming back more often to contribute.

It sounds like you are having an issue with Messages' "Tap to talk" voice entry coming up when it should not. It looks like this -

User uploaded file

You may want to try some things to troubleshoot. First, quit all running applications and test again -

Force an app to close in iOS

Next, I would try restarting the iPhone -

Restart your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

If the issue is still present, you may want to restore the iPhone as a new device -

How to erase your iOS device and then set it up as a new device or restore it from backups

I would very much like to hear which of these resolved the issue for you so that other users can benefit from this. Of course if your issue persists, please post back so we can continue to help.

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities.

Best to you.

Sep 29, 2015 8:54 AM in response to Dirk Bolle

OK, i think i found it. if you inadvertently tap the mic in an iMesage chat, but don't record anything, it'll cover the text box on any subsequent message (SMS or iMessage) going forward, until you go back, find the errant iMessage, and tap the mic again to deactivate. Perhaps there should be a method to deactivate tap to talk if you don't want the "feature", or make it only apply to the message TTT was activated on, not make it a global nuisance.

IOS 9Messages App wont get rid of gray audio message bar

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.