Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS 9 update causes iphone 5s black screens when apps open

After updating my iPhone 5s to IOS 9, several apps give a black screen when opened. At first I thought it was an issue from third party apps that were not ready for IOS 9. But the problem also happens when opening genuine IOS 9 apps, like the settings, Safari or mail.

when I tap the icon to open the app, it seems to open normally but suddenly the screen goes all black. Tapping the home button brings me back to my home screen, after that the app mostly opens normally (but not always). Never had this problem before, appeared right after the IOS9 upgrade. It is very annoying because I have to open the app multiple times, and strange that it happens also to 'internal' apps like settings or mail. I experimented with the settings -turning the movement off (parallax effects) but that had no effect on the problem.

iPhone 5s, iOS 9

Posted on Sep 20, 2015 12:56 PM

12 replies

Sep 21, 2015 12:51 PM in response to thecage

Hello thecage,

After reviewing your post, it sounds like when you open apps the screen goes black and apps will not respond. I would recommend that you read this article, it may be able to help the issue.

If your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch doesn't respond or doesn't turn on - Apple Support

First, try to force your device to restart.

• Forcing your device to restart won't erase the content currently on your device.
  • You can force your device to restart even if your screen is black or your buttons aren't responding.

Press and hold the Sleep/Wake and Home buttons at the same time for at least 10 seconds until you see the Apple logo.

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities.
Have a nice day

Sep 23, 2015 7:06 AM in response to Blrrgstrm

I did this: "Press and hold the Sleep/Wake and Home buttons at the same time for at least 10 seconds until you see the Apple logo." that is recommended on this page: If your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch doesn't respond or doesn't turn on - Apple Support

I did it yesterday and it appeared to fix the issue. However, today I did get a couple of black screens on app launches. I will monitor and try to remember to report the results.

Oct 18, 2015 3:25 PM in response to akoutalos

I attempted the fix suggested by @mario49, I'm happy to say once again Apple once again fails in basic implementation of bug fixes. 'Solution' doesn't work at all. I first experienced this issue during beta testing and have made and continue to make Apple aware of it. You'd think Apple would heed beta testers better than this. The bug catalyst is talking on the phone for longer than 5 minutes.

iOS 9 update causes iphone 5s black screens when apps open

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.