Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Home Sharing to iOS Devices not working in iOS 9

Like many of you, I cannot connect to my home library thru the music app on any of my iOS devices. Initially it was working fine, but now something is amiss. I can see the pulldown menu on my iPhone and iPad for Home Sharing and I can even get to the next page to select my library, but I either get the message "Unable to turn on Home Sharing", which I know is on, or the library tries to load but never does.

The irony is that it worked for a day or so and then just stopped. I can, however, still home share to my Macbook Pro from the shared library on my iMac. I have about 1.25 TB of material on an external drive hooked to the iMac.

I have tried all of the typical fixes from restarting my Airport router to logging off and then back on to all of my devices to no avail. I'm sure that there will be a fix to this in the near future but I'm wondering how many other people are experiencing this.

User uploaded file

iPhone 6 Plus, iOS 9, iMac (27-inch, Late 2012)

Posted on Sep 20, 2015 1:01 PM

4 replies

Oct 11, 2015 4:08 AM in response to johnterendy

Intermittent problems are often a result of interference. Interference can be caused by other networks in the neighbourhood or from household electrical items.

You can download and install iStumbler (NetStumbler for windows users) to help you see which channels are used by neighbouring networks so that you can avoid them, but iStumbler will not see household items.

Refer to your router manual for instructions on changing your wifi channel or adjusting your multicast rate.

There are other types of problems that can affect networks, but this is by far the most common, hence worth mentioning first. Networks that have inherent issues can be seen to work differently with different versions of the same software. You might also try moving the Apple TV away from other electrical equipment.

The following article(s) may help you.

Troubleshooting Wi-Fi networks and connections

Recommended Wi-Fi settings

Sources of Interference

Wifi Diagnostic Software (for Mac users)

You may also find some help on this page, where I’ve collected some of the more unusual solutions to network issues.

Home Sharing to iOS Devices not working in iOS 9

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.