Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to recover data after factory reset? (iphone 5s)

After trying to update to iOS 9 and dealing with the incredibly frustrating "slide to upgrade" glitch, I contacted apple and they told me the only option to get rid of the glitch was to do a factory reset. I have no backups, so I lost all my photos and important data. I'm super ****** off because I got screwed over by Apple's own glitch. Is there any way to recover that lost data? Any trusted and reliable programs?

iPhone 5s, iOS 9

Posted on Sep 20, 2015 2:12 PM

12 replies

Sep 20, 2015 2:30 PM in response to domomaps

domomaps wrote:

I have no backups, so I lost all my photos and important data. I'm super ****** off because I got screwed over by Apple's own glitch.

Why did you not have back ups? iCloud will back up automatically at night when your device is plugged in and connected to WiFi. You can back up by connecting your device to iTunes. If the data is important to you, you keep it back up. I have my photos back up about 4 different places. Because they matter to me.

Now is a good time for you to implement a back up strategy that works for you and be consistent with it. There is an old IT saying, "It's not a matter of if a hard drive will fail. It's a matter of when."

Sep 20, 2015 2:40 PM in response to domomaps

domomaps wrote:

I'm super ****** off because I got screwed over by Apple's own glitch. Is there any way to recover that lost data? Any trusted and reliable programs?

You DID NOT get "screwed over by Apple." You got screwed over by your own carelessness, stupidity, or laziness. Backing up an iPhone is easy and automatic. All you have to do is turn it on. If you didn't go to the trouble of doing that, which takes about 15 seconds, one time, you have only yourself to blame.

Sep 20, 2015 3:11 PM in response to Lawrence Finch

Glitches are a fact of life in the computer world. The have been since the first computers in the 1940's. EVERY computer crashes at some time or another (and the iPhone is a computer that can make phone calls, not a phone). Windows crashes. Macs crash. Linux crashes. Even mainframes crash. iPhones and iPods crash from a myriad of causes, not just a failed update. And any sensible owner of any computer has made provisions for backup. Apple provides you three ways to back up an iOS device, and 6 ways to back up the pictures on your iOS device. Android phones have similar features, but it's up to the owner to use them. Macs come with backup software built in and ready to go; just connect an external drive and OS X will automatically back up your hard drive every hour. This isn't built into Windows, but there are dozens of 3rd party software products that have similar capabilities. There is simply no excuse to not having a backup of your computing device 70 years into the computer age.

Sep 20, 2015 4:51 PM in response to domomaps

domomaps wrote:

First of all, I never used iCloud in the first place b/c all I thought it did was share your photos with your family. Nevertheless, it wouldn't have happened if it wasn't for the glitch -_-

So what if it hadn't happened this time. What if your phone was stolen? What if you dropped in tin a parking lot and it got run over before you noticed it was gone (happened to me)? Who would you blame then for the loss of your data?

My iPhone 6 speaker went bad last week. I made an appointment to have it looked at. Before I left home, I double checked my iCloud back up, then backed it up on my computer. Apple tried to repair it but couldn't. When they offered to swap it out, I was able to say, sure, it's all backed up. Saved me the trouble of making another appointment.

Sep 20, 2015 3:28 PM in response to domomaps

domomaps wrote:

First of all, I never used iCloud in the first place b/c all I thought it did was share your photos with your family. Nevertheless, it wouldn't have happened if it wasn't for the glitch -

As "glitches" are a fact of living with electronic devices since the dawn of the computer era (but you knew this already) and Apple's instructions specifically tell you to BACK UP before upgrading (you also knew this) and you were lazy and careless, you only have yourself to blame for your data loss. And guess what, you could have lost your data in an innumerable amount of ways besides a "glitch" (you also knew that). You are now looking for a scapegoat. I suggest you look in the mirror.

Sep 20, 2015 4:50 PM in response to FelipeV

Geez. Actually I didn't know Apple's instructions, because it started updating automatically after my phone died and I recharged it. You act like I'm some tech-savvy person who should know better. I'm not. I'm the opposite. I barely know what iCloud does and iTunes confuses me even more. Quit calling me lazy and careless, because you just sound pretentious. Not everyone knows that there are "3 ways to backup at iOS device and 6 ways to backup the pictures", and you don't have to be so rude about it. Anyways, I get that I should have backed up regularly but I have every right to be annoyed at Apple. Ok, end of discussion.

Sep 20, 2015 6:07 PM in response to domomaps

domomaps wrote:

Geez. Actually I didn't know Apple's instructions, because it started updating automatically after my phone died and I recharged it.

Sorry. No go. While the update sometimes DOWNLOADS automatically, you still have to tap install, or download and install before it actually installs. And the instructions usually come up in a window before you click install/upgrade. So don't blame Apple.

Have a nice day.

Sep 21, 2015 6:13 AM in response to domomaps

domomaps wrote:

You act like I'm some tech-savvy person who should know better. I'm not. I'm the opposite. I barely know what iCloud does and iTunes confuses me even more. Quit calling me lazy and careless, because you just sound pretentious. Not everyone knows that there are "3 ways to backup at iOS device and 6 ways to backup the pictures", and you don't have to be so rude about it. Anyways, I get that I should have backed up regularly but I have every right to be annoyed at Apple. Ok, end of discussion.

No, we act as if you are the owner of technology. At this point in time, not knowing you should back up your device (even if you don't know how- ASK!) is like not knowing your car needs gas and regular maintenance. You don't have to know how to adjust your timing belt.

How to recover data after factory reset? (iphone 5s)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.