Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS9 background app activity with background app refresh turned off.

I went to bed with 100% battery and woke up with 60%. I looked at the battery usage and it showled that Facebook had background activity all night. I verified that background app refresh was turned off, then toggled it on and off just in case. Still, through the day, Facebook continued to operate in the background. I've now removed the app to stop it draining my battery. Anyone else seeing a similar battery drain with Facebook or any other app, even with backgroun app refresh turned off?

User uploaded file

iPhone 5, iOS 9

Posted on Sep 20, 2015 1:44 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 20, 2015 1:48 PM

Background app refresh controls whether an app can spontaneously launch in background. But it does not prevent an app from responding to a notification in background. You should leave the phone plugged in overnight. This has 3 benefits:

• Your phone will be fully charged when you wake up
  • Any apps that do data transfers at night will use WiFi instead of cellular data (WiFi is off when the phone is locked, unless connected to power)
  • You can enable automatic iCloud backup, which will back up you phone every night when connected to power and WiFi

There is no downside to leaving it plugged in. You can't overcharge it, because it has a built in smart charger that will stop charging when it reaches 100%.

22 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 20, 2015 1:48 PM in response to levymetal

Background app refresh controls whether an app can spontaneously launch in background. But it does not prevent an app from responding to a notification in background. You should leave the phone plugged in overnight. This has 3 benefits:

• Your phone will be fully charged when you wake up
  • Any apps that do data transfers at night will use WiFi instead of cellular data (WiFi is off when the phone is locked, unless connected to power)
  • You can enable automatic iCloud backup, which will back up you phone every night when connected to power and WiFi

There is no downside to leaving it plugged in. You can't overcharge it, because it has a built in smart charger that will stop charging when it reaches 100%.

Sep 20, 2015 2:00 PM in response to Lawrence Finch

Sorry, your generic copy-paste doesn't help in the slightest. Although it seems blatantly obvious, I should have mentioned that I just upgraded from iOS8 and had no issues at all before.

An app should not consume 40% battery overnight when the phone is not in use. It never did before, so it shouldn't do it now. Please read and understand the problem before posting some generic answer.

Obviously this issue occurs at all times as well - not just throughout the night. That means Facebook background activity is consuming over 50% of my battery all day, and I only use it for maybe an hour a day tops.

All notifications are turned off. This has nothing to do with notifications. It appears to be a bug and I'm looking to see if it's happening to other people or just me.

Sep 20, 2015 2:52 PM in response to levymetal

Yes! I upgraded my iPhone 5S before going to bed last night. I left the phone plugged in overnight. Got up this morning and used the phone for a few minutes to check emails and such. I constantly close out my apps so that I never have stuff running in the background. All day long I have watched as my battery discharges. It appears to be Facebook. My battery usage screen looks similar to yours. My background refresh is off. Facebook is not open or running in the background. I have been paying attention to the battery drain all day and it is crazy.

I have everything turned off on my phone that would possibly drain the battery. Just in the last 45 minutes my battery went from 100% to 86% without a single app being open. This is not acceptable.

Sep 22, 2015 3:10 PM in response to levymetal

I think I have found the solution. I noticed Facebook was creating a lot of background usage as well under Battery Settings, even though I have Background App Refresh turned off under the General Settings. I then looked at the Facebook Settings menu (Settings>Facebook>Settings) and noticed the Background App Refresh was turned on but greyed out so I couldn't toggle it. I went back to Battery Settings menu, turned on Background App Refresh and ensured that the Facebook setting was turned off. I then went back into the Facebook Settings menu (Settings>Facebook>Settings) and noticed that the Background App Refresh was now turned off. Then I went back to General Settings and turned off Background App Refresh again, and that seemed to fix the problem.

Oct 6, 2015 9:03 AM in response to Lawrence Finch

Hi there Lawrence, I have the same issue as Levy and the others but BOTH my switches are off and yet I show 10.6 hours of background use by Facebook and 68% of my battery usage in the last 24 hours. This morning I turned FB notifications off. I don't "hang out" on FB. I post very little. I share others' images on occasion, maybe 6 a week. Do you know any other tricks to curb FB background usage? I am getting tempted to remove FB from my iphone. Thanks.

Oct 21, 2015 3:32 PM in response to utahman130

Your usage looks pretty normal to me. If you scroll up and take a look at Lawrence's answer you'll get some info about this - background app refresh doesn't stop an app from operating in the background; it merely stops background refresh. Many apps will stay active for 10 minutes after you close them, and you can't control that. Considering your background usage is less than on-screen usage, so the background activity seen in your stats looks pretty normal.

If you take a look at the screenshot in my first post, you'll see that I used Facebook for less than 30 minutes, but had over 11 hours of background activity. This is abnormal because there's no reason for the app to stay active for that long when I haven't touched the app.

I'm actually still getting this problem. The only solution is to completely quit Facebook after using it every time. Or, just delete the app, and use Safari.

Jan 16, 2016 3:26 AM in response to pia2some2

Hello guys.
I have the same problem except my background battery drain is from APP STORE. The phone was fully charged with Wi-Fi and Cellular DATA - off + minimum screen brightness + all apps closed in the background , when I woke up that was the result I got.. how can it be possible? Even when i dont do anything i just see how my battery life just drains out..User uploaded file

Jan 16, 2016 4:29 AM in response to afterglowness

afrerglowness

This is one area where iPhone & iOS has a huge mess to sort out with the recent iOS 9.2 update. I have the same problem as you.

There has not yet been a single response showing empathy to the problem - especially from some of those 'level up' alibis working for 'apples' favor forgetting the actual problem faced by the customer.

Problems of a big corporation falling into the hands of economists and finance professionals.

Needless to say, force quit the app and restart the phone - may be that stops background activity

iOS9 background app activity with background app refresh turned off.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.