Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS 9 non-iPhone photos cropped to fill in Photos

Since I updated to iOS 9, the Photos app now displays all the photos I've transferred to my phone from my professional cameras as "scaled to fill" (i.e. cropped-to-fill) instead of "scale to fit."

This is hugely annoying. I spend a lot of time editing my several hundred thousand image library, including hand cropping images to my personal artistic taste. I have almost 14,000 images copied onto my phone through iTunes. In iOS 8 and earlier, images were shown shrunk to fit the display, with letter-boxing (black bars) to fill the remainder of the screen. Now, the images are enlarged to fill all the space, often cropping out visually important information.

For instance, an image cropped to a square aspect ratio now becomes a rectangle. As a photographer and artist, it is unacceptable that some Apple programmer decided it would be better to override my own crop. What's worse, if I pinch-to-zoom out, I go back into the library list mode.

The only workaround I've found is to double-tap to zoom in, then double-tap to zoom back out.

If you're going to subjectively make a drastic change to the functionality, you should create a preference option to allow us to revert back.

While we're on the subject of Photos, it's too difficult to find particular images without the ability to search through IPTC metadata. It would be extremely helpful for you to add this option to Photos.

iPhone 6, iOS 9

Posted on Sep 20, 2015 5:16 PM

3 replies

Oct 4, 2015 1:41 PM in response to A Fisher

I am facing exac the same problem. This is one of the reason why I never upgraded to any new Apple phones after the 4S. Trying to compete with other competitors like Samsung; they have forgotten the basic rule of software design. Backward compatibilit!

At least the problem didn't exist with the iPads. But after upgrade of 9.0.2; the same started happening in iPad too. I will restore back to the old version of iOS. I know Apple doesn't really care about what I am saying. But I will not spend a single cent on Apple product before they address this issue.

I am almost on the door of a shop to trade my iPad for something else.

The main reason of my spend on an overpriced Apple product was the display of it. Something that helpsme to show the quality of my work. If that display isn't working; it is pretty much useless device for me and I guess it will be the case for most photographers!

May 15, 2016 8:27 AM in response to A Fisher

Nobody reading this has the ability to add features. These are user-to-user forums.

As to your other suggestions, are you new to Apple products? The day Apple releases software with all the obvious features needed to make it actually usable included, I'll eat my hat. They include features that look good to your grandparents in marketing copy, and then stop developing.

iOS 9 non-iPhone photos cropped to fill in Photos

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.