Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to delete text replacement text permanently

How am I going to permanent delete away the text replacement text on my ios device? It keep coming back whenever I have deleted away after sometime.

iPhone 6 Plus, iOS 9

Posted on Sep 20, 2015 6:50 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 24, 2015 9:59 PM

I've been dea with this sine 8 and it's really annoying.

16 replies

Sep 25, 2015 9:35 AM in response to Max Huang

I've had this same issue for years on the iPhone.

(referring to the list of custom text replacements in General: Keyboards: Text Replacement)

Currently, the only way to delete each custom Text Replacement is to delete them one at a time (a two-step process). I have just over 200, and have repeatedly gone through and deleted all 200, only to see them replicate again a few days later. I'm pretty sure this is an iCloud issue. I've even done a thing where I go into all 4 devices that sync with my iCloud account (a MBA, a Mac Pro tower, an iPad, and my iPhone), deleting all Text Replacements at the same time. Boom: a few days later (sometimes it takes a week), each device gets those 200 Text Replacements back again.

Sep 29, 2015 11:22 AM in response to Shenity

How To Permanently Delete ‘Text Replacements’ Zombies That Won’t Stay Deleted

The following instructions are on how to permanently delete Text Replacements on Macs, iPhones, and iPads that just won’t stay deleted. The issue stems from hidden/corrupted backup files that keep refilling in the text replacements found in iPads and iPhones here:

Settings: General: Keyboard: Text Replacements

and on Macs here:

System Preferences: Keyboard: Text tab

These instructions are thanks to Apple Support members PIckinic, Pagemaker and others. You’ll find the original fix here:
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6656922?start=465&tstart=0

Overview of Problem: For the past couple years, many Mac users have found that Text Replacements in both iOS and OSX become impossible to delete. You delete them, only to see them come back during the next sync or even weeks later.

Overview of Solution: thanks to the sleuthing of the members mentioned above (and many more), the problem was isolated to hidden backup files stored at ~/Library/Application Support/MobileSync, or for those without a computer, somewhere deep in ones device.

Here are the steps to fix it:

1. Manually delete all Text Replacements on iPhone and iPad (no easy way to do this, since they have to be deleted one at a time). Manually delete them all from your Mac/PC, too. IF there are ones you want to keep, keep them only on the computer, and zero out the iOS devices.

2. Connect iPhone to Mac and backup to iTunes (Do this with a direct connection to your computer, not a backup to iCloud).

3. Install the free app iBackupBot onto your Mac or PC (http://www.icopybot.com/itunes-backup-manager.htm)

4. Run iBackupBot and in the left column, you should all your Backups. EXTREMELY IMPORTANT: if you have or used to have multiple devices, be sure you see all of the backups for all devices, including iPhones, iPads, old devices no longer owned, etc. You’ll need to delete the following files from EACH device listed.

5. Navigate to System files > KeyboardDomain. There may be more than one KeyboardDomain folder.

6. Delete the "CoreDataUbiquitySupport” folder (it contains the corrupted CloudUserDictionary file(s) that are causing the zombies).

NOTE: I personally have deleted ALL contents of ALL KeyboardDomain folders, but the above CoreData folder may be enough.

7. Be sure you do this deletion process for EVERY device listed in that left-hand column in iBackupBot. You may need to scroll down to see all devices (past and present) listed. If you miss any, the Zombies will reappear (I speak from experience).

8. Exit iBackupBot.

9. Now restore the iPhone from the backup created in step 1 that now has the corrupted files deleted. Go to iTunes: Summary (half-way down): Restore Backup, and follow instructions.

10. Do the same process for the iPad or any other devices you have other than a Mac.

11. When done reboot everything. This will make all Text Replacements disappear.

This is what has worked for me (thanks again to the above-mentioned intrepid Apple Support Discussion members.)

Oct 12, 2015 11:06 AM in response to Max Huang

There are a lot of "solutions" to this problem out there and I have tried them all even the one braintoniq suggests. However, with all of them these stupid things keep coming back.

Here is the only solution that I have found that seems to work for me.

Edit the text replacement rather than deleting it.

Edit the shortcut and replacement text by adding "abcd" to the end of both (or whatever text you want). Now let that stew for a few days so that iCloud has synced and all you devices are up to date, maybe even give it a week. After that, go in and delete them.

I don't know exactly why this procedure works but I think it forces an update and sort of "reinitializes" the iCloud syncing for the shortcut. For good measure you could delete it from all your devices but I have found that once I complete the above steps the syncing actually deletes it from my other devices correctly. YMMV.

How to delete text replacement text permanently

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.