Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Getting rid of facebook notifications on desktop

In an iMessage, a friend sent me a link to a facebook page. I was on my macbook air. This was a mobile facebook page link. I clicked it, not realizing. It opened into a browser in google chrome, and something popped up asking me if I wanted notifications. I clicked yes, just wanting the pop-up to go away (... bad choice.)

Now, I get facebook notifications popping up on my desktop in the right hand corner all the time.

HOWEVER, in my system preferences > internet accounts, I am not signed in on facebook, and never have been.

In my system preferences > notifications, a facebook icon does not exist. I never have had it there.

Yet the pop-ups keep coming up. I have not found a solution on how to get rid of these yet. Someone please help!

MacBook Air (13-inch Mid 2013), iOS 9, os x yosemite

Posted on Sep 20, 2015 9:33 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 16, 2017 6:32 AM

Yes, this was the exact solution I needed. My problem was that my wife logged in to her facebook account on my Mac, and now I was getting all of her notifications on my machine. The other solutions would have disabled notifications on all my wife's devices too (not desirable) in addition to mine. This solution fixed the issue only on my device.

Thanks!

16 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 16, 2017 6:32 AM in response to rdawn

Yes, this was the exact solution I needed. My problem was that my wife logged in to her facebook account on my Mac, and now I was getting all of her notifications on my machine. The other solutions would have disabled notifications on all my wife's devices too (not desirable) in addition to mine. This solution fixed the issue only on my device.

Thanks!

Sep 21, 2015 10:18 AM in response to Bminder

So actually it didn't. But when another notification popped up I clicked on it, and it took me to that odd facebook page again, and by looking down the list, i found a settings selection to click on and then turn notifications off. That seems to have worked.

I think if you click on the next notification bubble you get, you'll be able to figure it out.

Oct 2, 2015 6:18 AM in response to 4johnwiz

Here is something else I found on the web which seems to have worked for me:

Allow or block notifications from all sites

Windows and Mac

Open Chrome.

1. In the upper right corner of the browser window, click the Chrome menu User uploaded file.
  2. Click Settings > Show advanced settings.
  3. In the "Privacy" section, click Content settings.
  4. In the dialog that appears, go to "Notifications" and choose one of the following:
    • Allow all sites to show notifications: You’ll automatically see notifications from all websites.
    • Ask when a site wants to show notifications: You’ll get an alert from Chrome whenever a site wants to show you notifications. This is the default setting.
    • Do not allow any site to show notifications: You won’t see any notifications from websites.
You can also block any sites, apps, and extensions that already have permission to send you notifications. Just click Manage exceptions and remove "Facebook" permissions!

Getting rid of facebook notifications on desktop

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.