Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Adding ePub to iPad via iTunes no longer works post iOS-9 update

Hi Everyone

I have a large number of ePub files I want to add to my iPad to read through iBooks.

Before iOS9, I just added them to iBooks on my mac, then opened iTunes and synced them across - always worked well.

Now, if I follow the same process, it doesn't work. If I open iBooks on my iPad as the sync is occurring, the book front cover will appear with a blue progress bar. Once the progress bar is full (i.e. the book is now on my iPad), the book cover disappears and the file isn't there. So, I can no longer transfer ePub or PDF files from my mac to my iPad (yes, I know I can do it via email, but that is quite labor intense and makes it harder to manage).

I've downloaded the latest version of iTunes and iBooks for my Mac, turned everything off and on, etc. etc.

I have about 600 ePub files on my iPad, so a solution that doesn't require me to delete my library would be great!

Thanks!

Posted on Sep 21, 2015 12:28 AM

7 replies

Sep 29, 2015 4:41 AM in response to craig1014

Normally i download ePub files to my Dropbox Account and afterwards Using the Share Button and Open in iBooks.

This worked pretty well, and even after upgrading to iOS9 where seemed to be no problem. Yesterday evening i was continuing reading a book on my iPad, but just as i opened iBooks this morning, the book cover was shortly shown in the library and then disappeard.

Strangley enough, i was able to add the book on my iPhone, and even the current reading position was synced from iCloud. So the book opened on the iPhone at the exact page where i have stopped the evening before.

But i had no look to get the book back in iBooks for the iPad.

I have even tried to use some alternative ePub App. But even there the book does not appear.

Sep 30, 2015 12:32 AM in response to ejfromm

Well, "they" did nothing for me.

Here is how i understand this:

Bevore upgrading to iOS9 i had imported a epub file (residing in a Dropbox folder local on my iPad) into iBooks. From there i ciuld access it happily for some time now. After upgrading to iOS9 the file was still there and i read it for several days. Once i synced with itunes and i saw that the local ebooks were synced to iTunes. I thougtt nothing about it, and the file was still on the iPad for several days.

Then, one morning, i opened iBooks on the iPads and a could see how the Book Cover disappeared from the library

In the evening i was able to check iTunes. The book was present there and could be marked to be synced with my iPad. Marked it, synced the iPad and voila the book was back again.

Adding ePub to iPad via iTunes no longer works post iOS-9 update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.