Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

imovie Theater

Cannot get iMovie theater movies to play on my iPad or iPhone from iCloud. The gear wheel just keeps spinning when I select the movie. Video clips held in the cloud play OK just the completed movies in theater are the problem. Movies play OK on my Apple TV. Just upgraded my devices to IOS 9 and suspect this maybe the culprit. Tried reloading the apps, reset my network connections, signed out and back in to iCloud all to no avail.

Any ideas ????

Posted on Sep 21, 2015 5:31 AM

15 replies

Sep 24, 2015 11:55 AM in response to kiernanfromrushden

Thanks for that I will give it a try.

Lost all of my videos in the cloud, not how or why. iMovie theater was empty and my iCloud available storage increased by the size of iMovie theater. Have copied iMovie theater file to an external drive for safe keeping after I converted and saved the videos to my Macbook. Loaded a couple of videos back into iMovie theater to see if it cleared the problem but still the same problem, OK on Apple TV but no luck on iPhone or iPad. The weird thing is that when I plug either of my devices into a power charger they play the movies as they should, and when I disconnect they continue OK for a short while but then revert back to the spinning gear wheel. I have no idea what the correlation between not seeing them on a fully charged device but OK when plugged in.

Oct 2, 2015 12:49 AM in response to MegaBit

Not sure the problem is with iMovie. Spoke with an Apple support guy who got me to create movie on my iPhone and not Macbook, seemed to work across all devices then. Now it is working OK across all my devices regardless of where the movie is created. I think it maybe something to do with iCloud as I had a couple of days when I was having trouble with the cloud, not seeing stuff and telling me I was not logged in when I was. Since then it has worked OK albeit some movies are slower to display than others.

I am wondering if they have been tinkering with the cloud after 9.0 and have sorted it out now. Try plugging iOS devices into power outlets or log out of the cloud and log back in again. Sorry I cannot be more precise but I have made no fundamental changes to my set up and it has gone back to working how it should. The only thing is I have reloaded all my movies back up to the cloud because I lost them all somehow when I was having problems.

Oct 2, 2015 5:48 AM in response to telstrel

I've tried a number of things including creating a movie on my iPhone and uploading it to the Theater. Yes, it plays fine, but that is the only movie that plays on the iPhone 6S. There is no way I will log out of iCloud and back in to fix this-- I have 11 GB of Photos thumbnails and that took two days to sync after setting up the new 6S. And during that time it was sluggish (many people are reporting their new 6S or 6S+ are sluggish, and I think it's because of the background syncing to iCloud). When you log out of iCloud all that locally cached content is blown out and would need to be downloaded again.

There must be some other issue at the root of this problem. I dread having to call Apple Support to discuss it and email won't suffice to get the message across.

Oct 22, 2015 3:16 PM in response to Stuartan

I agree it is not an acceptable fix. After seeming to work OK on my iOS devices it has now reverted back to the problem of not playing them unless they are plugged in. Contacted Apple again but no response. There is clearly a bug as if it was a problem with the movie itself it would not play regardless of being plugged in or not. Very frustrating.

Oct 24, 2015 6:36 AM in response to telstrel

I too have the same ridiculous problem on my iPone 6 Plus. I have iOS 9.1 and iMovie 2.2.1. I hoped the latest updates would corrected this issue. They did not. It is interesting that the plug-in-to power option solves the problem, though hardly a solution. So, I went into Settings, Battery, and toggled the Battery Percentage off. Interestingly, my videos began to stream again from iCloud. Turned it back on and they still streamed. Killed the app, opened it again, and they are still streaming. Connected to power, disconnected, and still they are streaming. Maybe this is a work around. I'm not confident this solution will last very long. We'll see.

imovie Theater

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.