Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why is my iCloud Photos library smaller than my Mac Photos library

Ok, so I just upgraded my iCloud storage to make it large enough to hold my Photos library that is on my Mac. My iCloud settings in Photos is set to "Download Originals to the Mac", which, as I understand, means I keep full resolution copies of all of my photos and videos on my Mac as well as on iCloud. When I started the setup, by going to my System Settings I could see that my iCloud "Photo's" storage was growing as my Mac was uploading my photo library to iCloud. Now, since last night, the size of my Photo's section on iCloud has not changed but the size that is showing is significantly smaller than the size of my Photo's Library on my Mac.

Here is my iCloud account

User uploaded file

Here is my Mac

User uploaded file

As you can see it is 23.12Gb on iCloud vs 32.89Gb on my Mac. My question/concern is that either my Mac has quit uploading my data (no, I've not pushed the button "Pause for one day" on my Photo's preferences) and/or there are files missing online that I have on my Mac. Unless Apple is using some other super compression that they have for their online storage that you as a user do not have on your Mac I would expect the size of these to files to be approximately equal with the size of my Mac storage to be smaller if I enable the local optimize feature.

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.5)

Posted on Sep 21, 2015 5:55 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 21, 2015 6:15 AM

iCloud Photos Library is only storing the original image files and some database entries. Your Mac is additionally storing thumbnails, previews, faces thumbnails for speedier browsing. So the local library on your Mac will be considerably larger than what is used in iCloud.

My library is showing 130.49 GB in the iCloud panel, but 171.84 GB in the Finder.

If the upload to iCloud has finished, you will no longer see a progress bar in the Photos > Preferences > iCloud panel. And you should see a message "updated just now" at the bottom of the "Moments" view in Photos.

The size, you are seeing in the Info panel for the Photos view should be roughly the same as you are seeing in iCloud:

User uploaded file

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 21, 2015 6:15 AM in response to rimcrazy

iCloud Photos Library is only storing the original image files and some database entries. Your Mac is additionally storing thumbnails, previews, faces thumbnails for speedier browsing. So the local library on your Mac will be considerably larger than what is used in iCloud.

My library is showing 130.49 GB in the iCloud panel, but 171.84 GB in the Finder.

If the upload to iCloud has finished, you will no longer see a progress bar in the Photos > Preferences > iCloud panel. And you should see a message "updated just now" at the bottom of the "Moments" view in Photos.

The size, you are seeing in the Info panel for the Photos view should be roughly the same as you are seeing in iCloud:

User uploaded file

Why is my iCloud Photos library smaller than my Mac Photos library

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.