Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMessage is not showing contact pictures - ios9

I recently upgraded my iphone 6 to ios 9. when i open iMessage, I do not see any contact photos and i do not see the circles. I have added photos to contacts in my imessage box and nothing changed. How do i get my imessage to show me pics?

Thanks!

iPhone 6, iOS 9

Posted on Sep 21, 2015 6:55 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 25, 2015 10:53 PM

i had the same issue & it was driving me crazy because I really wanted to see the pics. If your display view is set to zoom it will disable it. Try this

Settings > display & brightness > display zoom > click view > select standard

this should fix your issue although I really like the zoomed feature I like seeing my contact photos better

Hope this helped

35 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 25, 2015 10:53 PM in response to mkrudop

i had the same issue & it was driving me crazy because I really wanted to see the pics. If your display view is set to zoom it will disable it. Try this

Settings > display & brightness > display zoom > click view > select standard

this should fix your issue although I really like the zoomed feature I like seeing my contact photos better

Hope this helped

Feb 11, 2017 6:51 AM in response to Jasminerenea17

This fix worked for me. Others have said to switch from zoomed view to standard view but this didn't work for me because I was already on standard view. What I tried was changing TO zoomed view from standard and then switching back to standard. My pics came back! I don't know if it is a permanent fix or not because I just did it. It's definitely worth a shot!

Oct 9, 2015 11:05 AM in response to mkrudop

My display setting is already Standard and I see the circles for the photos, but the photos on SOME (not all) contacts are not being displayed. Also, my iPhone (which is a brand new 6S, restored from the backup of my previous phone) is the only device with the problem; the same conversation threads on my iPad (also iOS 9.0.2) shows the photos just fine. Any clues?

Jan 3, 2016 11:29 PM in response to canegial15

Fix I have for Iphone 6S

Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calender > ICloud Account Tab

Go down to the Contacts tab and turn it off. Iphone should ask "What would you like to do with the previously synced iCloud contacts on your iPhone?" Hit "Keep on Phone". After that, hit the Contacts tab again to turn it back on and it should prompt you to "Merge" the Contacts information from the iPhone with the iCloud. This fixed my problem.

Jan 20, 2016 12:39 PM in response to mkrudop

My display setting is already Standard and I see the circles for the photos with the initials inside. Alot of my contacts are linked to facebook but it wont pull in their photos. When you go into the details for contacts under fb it has their name but once you click on it it just goes to my fb feed. Any Ideas whats going on???

Jan 21, 2016 10:56 AM in response to DLGray

Yeah, this is an intermittent problem for me too. Certain contacts occasionally lose their picture in Messages. Only certain ones - others never show the problem. The photo is in Contacts and shows up properly in Mail for example. This never happens on my iPad Air 2 or MacBook Air. Only my iPhone 6S.

The simplest workaround I've found is to just add a bogus phone number to the contact. That seems force a resync. It doesn't work for any other contact info - you must add or remove a phone number. Unfortunately it doesn't seem to be a permanent fix - I don't know if the other options presented above prevent a recurrence.

No question this is a bug but either Apple is denying it or not putting effort into fixing it. Very annoying. I'm also told they don't read these forums, so likely they don't get this feedback either 😟

iMessage is not showing contact pictures - ios9

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.