Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

ios9 closing apps

Hello,

Wondering with the new update of iOS9, when closing apps, is there a way to show the open apps on the right side of the home screen to close them. I use my Right hand to hold my phone, so when double clicking the home button to view the opened apps, they come up on the left side of the home screen and you have to close them on the far left. If the option was possible to allow the apps to show on the right side of the home screen it would be easier to close apps since you're holding the phone with the right hand.

Thx for your help.

iPhone 5, iOS 9

Posted on Sep 21, 2015 6:17 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 21, 2015 6:26 AM

Forcing an app to close the same is accomplished the same way, regardless of its relative position near the left, right, or anywhere in between.

In that regard iOS 9 is no different than iOS 8. iOS 9 just implements a somewhat different visual presentation. Whether that is an improvement or not is another question. No, there is no way to reverse the "overlap". Images on the right cover those on the left.

14 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 21, 2015 6:26 AM in response to tonyintoronto

Forcing an app to close the same is accomplished the same way, regardless of its relative position near the left, right, or anywhere in between.

In that regard iOS 9 is no different than iOS 8. iOS 9 just implements a somewhat different visual presentation. Whether that is an improvement or not is another question. No, there is no way to reverse the "overlap". Images on the right cover those on the left.

Sep 22, 2015 5:48 PM in response to tonyintoronto

I have this same question too. I would prefer to see the apps show up on the right side of the screen. Since options are the norm with computers and smart phones, isn't there a way to make this happen? Isn't it obvious that left-handed people might like it (or it might be easier) if the apps to open on one side and right-handed people would like the apps to open on the other? (Or that some people simply might prefer that apps show up on one side of the home screen or the other side?) Will Apple be addressing this problem?

Sep 22, 2015 5:57 PM in response to tonyintoronto

Which prompts the question why are you closing apps? Apple's recommendation is to only close an app if it is misbehaving. Leaving the apps on the quick launch list does no harm, and closing them can reduce battery life (the opposite of what some users think). See: http://www.howtogeek.com/204552/no-closing-background-apps-on-your-iphone-or-ipa d-wont-make-it-faster/

Sep 23, 2015 8:15 PM in response to Lawrence Finch

To Lawrence Finch. First, why did you not simply answer my question? When people can't answer a question, they are wasting people's time and if they had any common sense, they should not be making comments off topic. Instead of answering my question, you questioned my operation of an iPhone. Here is my argument which completely refutes your claim.

The most compelling reasons to close apps and keep your iPhone organized.

While I've read articles which reveal that closing apps on your iPhone won't make it faster, I would always recommend to keep your iPhone extremely organized. This is how I keep my iPhone. In our day and age of information overload and using multiple computing devices at work and at home, who wants to scroll through a plethora of apps to find the one you want to use? A great way to organize your apps is to have the ones you use the most on your first home screen and the rest on the next screen.

I have about 100 apps on my phone (which I know is not that many apps) but I only have two main screens holding my apps. This is because I use folders. So, all my social media apps are in one folder -- games, travel, news, music, medical, rewards clubs apps, etc., each have their own folder to keep things organized. It's extremely easy for me to find any app on my iPhone.

I have a friend who does not like computers but likes his iPhone. He has hundreds of apps on his iPhone, uses very few folders and he keeps lots of his apps open.I know this because I've seen him use his iPhone and I've also grabbed his iPhone while it's open and looked at how he organizes his phone. When I'm around him, I see him using his iPhone and when he's looking for an app, I see him usually scrolling through his main screens to find an app, meanwhile, he already has the app open. He usually does not scroll through his open apps to find an app he needs.

Also, I know that he knows very little about making folders on his iPhone because I am the one who made the only app folders he uses. So basically, you've got many people out their who are afraid of computers or don't like computers (many of my friends, acquaintances, coworkers, etc. have told me this) and even though they love their iPhones, they simply don't know simple things about their iPhone such as making folders, naming their folders, moving their apps around and keeping their apps organized. In other words, many people download an app and wherever the app downloads on the iPhone, that is where it stays - forever.

Let's say you keep most apps open because it's recommended. Please explain to me how scrolling through many open apps is more efficient than looking at only two screens? It's not. The only compelling reason I would know to keep an app open is the frequency the app is used. Take for example texting. I get texts from friends throughout the day. Have I fallen in love with the texting app because I use it throughout the day? No. Must I keep it open to make sure I can text people immediately? No. I don't need my texting app open at all. I'm not in love with the app and I have no urgent reason to keep the app open.

What I would like to see is easy to understand and detailed articles on how to make a folders for iPhones and iPads and how to change the name of an iPhone folder. I certainly know how to do to this BUT how many people don't know how to make folders (and change the folder name) on their iPhone? So, keeping apps open just because someone recommends this does not mean it's good advice. If you want to waste time scrolling through 20 or 30 apps, then keep the apps open! It's your choice. I simply enjoy having an organized iPhone and when I want text a friend, look at social media or play a game, I can find my favorite app easily, use the app, close it and move on.

Sep 23, 2015 11:31 PM in response to John Galt

To John Galt: When I logged on several hours ago and I looked at this forum today (September 23, 2015), your answer was NOT on this forum. However, now that I logged on around 11:30 p.m. PST (September 23, 2015), I now see your answer. Thank you. (I'm not sure why I'm not seeing updated information with a new logon but I'm glad you had the answer! Thanks!!)

Sep 24, 2015 2:56 AM in response to Mike_West

Mike_West wrote:

To John Galt: When I logged on several hours ago and I looked at this forum today (September 23, 2015), your answer was NOT on this forum. However, now that I logged on around 11:30 p.m. PST (September 23, 2015), I now see your answer. Thank you. (I'm not sure why I'm not seeing updated information with a new logon but I'm glad you had the answer! Thanks!!)

The forum software is slow to update sometimes. If you click the "Latest update" link at the top and nothing happens it means the thread update is delayed. You can force it to update by adding a post. Sometimes you will see posts with just a "dot" in the body. That's a way that a lot of us use to force the thread to update.

Oct 22, 2015 11:01 AM in response to Mike_West

well said. Basically if you like a tidy interface as you already explained (me too) then iOS9 with its stupid 3d effect cards is horrible

firstly the 'desktop' card which sits in front of the apps and overlaps them (blocking them) should not even be a 'card'! It should be a background. absolute idiocy

press home goes to desktop what the fook why have it as a card? and what the funk for steve jobbs sake, is it doing sitting in front of app cards?

also swiping app cards up to close them with that horrible desktop (home screen i believe it is called) lifted off the home screen and projected as a 'card'

I hate it, i have neen using iphone and ipad since the last 5 years solid to work with every day creating content, and this last update is for me the wordst ever. I dont need three d cards, that wobble to the side when try to swipe up to close, and end p flicking the home screen onto your view instead, and the apss just bounce left to right like weebles

It also causes the workflow to somehow make you end up with lots of apps open, which i never have had to suffer before, must be something to do with the new design and how it influences how we work in our approach.

I get very frustrated since iOS9 update.. its horrible to work with, but maybe for those who just consume media and dont do productivity or create content, maybe its all flash buttons and glitter for them.. fancy effects.. i prefer effectiveness to effects

Anyway, i cant answer your question because i dont think you can put the homescree to the left, and even crazier, you cant put it as the background.. it is always the foremost card sitting in front of the other apps blocking the view.. blecch how stupid indeed.. almost as stupid as the recently deleted folder.. argghhhhh hate it

Oct 27, 2015 4:08 PM in response to tonyintoronto

I also had this same question. I don't understand why Apple changed the stacking layout to close apps from either side of the phone to the left. I am a right-hander with small hands and now have to use two hands to close open apps. On the other hand, my daughter, who is left-handed, thinks this is a great breakthrough for left-handers everywhere. The ios 9 programmer must be a lefty. The iphone can do everything under the sun, why not give the option to change the stacking order for closing apps. Heck, they have the pull-down option for gaining access to the upper apps with one hand, why not add this option as well? My right thumb won't reach to the lift side of my phone with out holding it precariously.

Feb 26, 2016 7:27 PM in response to tonyintoronto

Drives me crazy too. On iPad its even worse you swipe upwards to close the app, all they do is wobble to the side and flick side to side, and the background (home screen - i call it 'desktop') appears in front of them, which is the dumbest thing since the square wheel. I dont think there is an answer or solution. Send feedback to apple is about the same use as banging your head against the wall.

Feb 26, 2016 7:30 PM in response to Lawrence Finch

Why are we closing the apps? excuse me sir, but some of us have like 200 apps n our devices.. are you saying that we should have them all open when not using them?

Apple does not tell you to keep your apps open when not using them. And for your information, open apps eat up battery life, and CPU performance. I like to have only the apps im using open to minimise that. Would you leave all the lights on in every room of your house when you are sat in the garden?

Feb 26, 2016 8:14 PM in response to nwonogo

nwonogo wrote:

Why are we closing the apps? excuse me sir, but some of us have like 200 apps n our devices.. are you saying that we should have them all open when not using them?

Apple does not tell you to keep your apps open when not using them. And for your information, open apps eat up battery life, and CPU performance. I like to have only the apps im using open to minimise that. Would you leave all the lights on in every room of your house when you are sat in the garden?

Wrong on every count. Apps displayed are apps that you have used. They are suspended. They are not open. They are not running. They do not use power or battery. They do not use CPU. In fact, except for the 3 or 4 most recently used, they are not even in RAM. Apple does not tell you to close them unless they are misbehaving. I routinely have over a hundred displayed on the quick launch display. It does not use my battery up. It does not slow down my phone. And the biggest irony is that apps that are not displayed can use battery, CPU and data. In fact, closing them can increase battery drain, because it takes more energy to relaunch them than it does to just wake them from the suspended state the are in when they are listed in the quick launch window.

To use your analogy, would you unscrew the light bulbs in ever room when you are sat in the garden?

I Suggest reading the link in the post of mine you just responded to.

ios9 closing apps

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.