You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iCloud Backup failure after iOS9 upgrade

Hi!

I am experiencing a problem with my iPhone 5S backup to iCloud since its update to iOS9.

I have a free 5GB iCloud storage plan that used to be enough in the previous iOS version: daily updates have run and completed successfully every scheduled day.

After updating to iOS9, I have not been able to backup my iPhone to iCloud successfuly again, getting the following info in my iCloud backup settings:

• iCloud > Storage
    • Total Storage: 5GB;
    • Available: 4,4GB
  • iCloud > Storage > Manage Storage
    • iPhone (this iPhone) backup with 0KB
    • Documents & Data
      • 74,6MB in total
      • List of 6 apps with (some of them) names written over their data information;
  • iCloud > Storage > Manage Storage > iPhone (this iPhone)
    • Most recent backup run on Sept 16;
    • Backup size (of the last successful backup): 0 bytes;
    • Next backup size: 8,9GB;
    • List of applications show below the next backup size: every application show "no data" info to backup;

So, having said this:

• Supposing this is a problem related to iOS9 update, what should I do to solve it? Or can I just wait that Apple solve it without needing any action from my side?
  • As before the iOS9 update my 5GB storage plan was enough to run the backups (and I haven't changed absolutely anything with the update), should I wait for an Apple solution to the iCloud backup problem (that is being reported by everyone and can be in the origin of this 8,9GB storage information need) or should I upgrade to the next (payed) storage plan?

Thanks!

iPhone 5s, iOS 9, 32GB

Posted on Sep 21, 2015 8:01 AM

9 replies

Sep 23, 2015 9:16 AM in response to Sandy4619

While looking at other threads re: this issue, I think I've found a temporary solution.

It was recommended that I delete the last iCloud back-up for the iPhone, and when I tried that, it told me it was unable to do that and to try again.

Another solution was to turn off all of the apps that were backing up to iCloud. It took awhile but I did that and have now completed a successful iCloud back-up. Apparently one of the apps was causing the failure, it's just not clear which one it was exactly.

I still think it's a good practice to back-up to your computer via iTunes at least every few days. iCloud seems too glitchy to be soley depended on

iCloud Backup failure after iOS9 upgrade

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.