Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS 9 - Voiceover switches from Bluetooth to internal speaker

in iOS 9 when I turn on voiceover, my audio output is switched from my Bluetooth headset over to my iPhone's internal speakers. This is really irritating and hard to switch back while navigating with voiceover.

Anyone else having this problem?

iPhone 5s, iOS 9

Posted on Sep 21, 2015 9:00 AM

10 replies

Sep 24, 2015 7:27 AM in response to 1000101

Thanks for the corroborating input 1000101.

I tested this issue out on my Ford Focus' Sync Bluetooth connection, and on my Bluetooth speaker. Activating Voiceover while connected to either switches the source away from those outputs and on to my device's speaker. This is very disruptive and repeatable every time.

Please fix this, I use voiceover via my Bluetooth headset every day, and this has really been difficult to put up with and work around!

Oct 10, 2015 10:42 AM in response to Sevallis

I have the same problem with all my Bluetooth devices (I have three different types). I rely on VoiceOver, and need Bluetooth so I don't disturb others. I have tried all the fixes I've read about, like resetting all settings, erasing all Bluetooth devices from the phone, doing a restart by pushing power and the home button together, and finally I reset my phone to factory settings. Nothing worked. This makes my iPhone very difficult to use, and I rue the day I updated to iOS 9. I will never jump on the bandwagon at the start of a new iOS release again!

Nov 5, 2015 4:41 PM in response to teedubyaw

I noticed that activating voiceover while using AirPlay from my iPhone to the new AppleTV 4 switches back from the TV's output to the phone's speakers. This can't be a coincidence. Surely someone at Apple must have thought that this change was worth doing, if that is so then i ask that you all add a toggle to stay connected to external audio sources when using VoiceOver via AirPlay or Bluetooth. Seeing as this was the normal behavior before iOS 9, and also that it can be switched manually (with difficulty), it shouldn't be that hard to do.

Could we get some support from Apple here on this Apple Support forum??

Nov 5, 2015 4:45 PM in response to Sevallis

Not sure if this will help. I just started using this for kindle and my phone is connected to bluetooth for phone and also I connect an audio cable from the car to iPhone and the kindle is played through the aux and if I get a phone call I can use the Bluetooth and have to exit kindle to stop the voice over. After the call I just have to turn on the audio again on the phone by going back into kindle.

Nov 14, 2015 6:00 AM in response to Sevallis

ON my iPad, (not tried iPhone, but expect it is the same) the solution is actually rather easy!

turn on voiceover

open control centre

select the Bluetooth speakers you want under the airplay choices

switch to kindle and rad aloud in the usual way

Bobs your uncle!

took me a while to work out how to open the control centre whilst in Voiceover mode.

you do it like this:

Tap very top of screen, that sort of changes focus to the status bar... clock etc..

Then swipe up from the bottom of the screen with 3fingers.

hope all this helps!

iOS 9 - Voiceover switches from Bluetooth to internal speaker

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.