Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"Enter the airplay code dialog for Apple TV [device name]" dialog keeps popping up

At my office, there are a few Mac Minis and Apple TVs in the area, connected to flat screen TVs. They serve as community bulletin boards of sorts.

My problem is that whenever I am reconnected to wifi, I am prompted to 'Enter the AirPlay code for "Apple TV [device name]".' It's not always the same Apple TV to which my computer is trying to connect.

I have never used my computer to connect to any of these devices. For that matter, I have never used my computer for AirPlay to any device. My audio settings are not set up to try to connect to AirPlay speakers either. Not that it should matter; in my opinion, if I have never initiated a connection with any of these devices, my computer should not be trying to connect to them.

I have searched for solutions, and found answers including:

1. Turn off home sharing in iTunes. Well, it's not on and it's never been on, and I turned it on and turned it off to be sure.

2. Turn off AirPlay speakers in Sound preferences. Well, I checked on that.

3. Some other suggestions involved changing settings on the Apple TV, e.g., turning off "conference room display" option. Well, I don't have access to these devices, they are not my devices, and my computer shouldn't be trying to connect to them anyway.

This is likely a bug on Apple's part. Devices should not initiate connections without the explicit permission of the user.

Still, if anyone has a suggestion, I'll take it.

PowerBook G4, Mac OS X (10.4.7), 1.33Ghz/2GB/60GB/Combo

Posted on Sep 21, 2015 11:04 AM

3 replies

Oct 7, 2015 5:37 PM in response to manalagi001

I discovered I could reliably reproduce this bug by going to Settings > Accessibility > VoiceOver > VoiceOver Utility > Sound. Every time I would get to the sound tab it would trigger the AirPlay dialog. Furthermore, every time I turned VoiceOver on or off, I was presented with a new dialog: "Would you like to use AirPlay for VoiceOver?" Even though I have never selected any device for AirPlay! Even though I certainly never configured VoiceOver as such!

I then option-clicked on the Sound icon in my menubar; it revealed that I was "connected" to an AirPlay device, the one which today has been bugging me repeatedly for a connection password. I set the output to "headphones" (even though it was using already headphones as output anyway).

For now the problem seems to have gone away. Very weird.

"Enter the airplay code dialog for Apple TV [device name]" dialog keeps popping up

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.