Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why won't iTunes play podcasts in my Smart Playlist?

I have a Smart Playlist that selects a set of music and podcasts for me to listen to throughout the day. However, after three days of only listening to music and zero podcasts, I pared it down so there was a small, equal number of podcasts and music. After all the music played... it just stopped. Here's a screenshot showing this:

User uploaded file

In this screenshot, I double-clicked the podcast on top and did nothing else. I expect that the two songs and 4 other podcasts would show up in the "Up Next", but only the music shows up in the "Up Next" list. This is frustrating, as it completely defeats the purpose of this Smart Playlist.

Why isn't iTunes playing my podcasts, and how do I get it to do so?

I've also found that Podcasts don't have the same options as songs for some reason:

User uploaded file User uploaded file

As you see, the podcast doesn't have the same queuing options as the music.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Yosemite (10.10.5)

Posted on Sep 21, 2015 11:44 AM

1 reply

Oct 5, 2015 2:03 PM in response to BenCRLeggiero

A new discovery:

This appears to be, in part, due to the fact that iTunes decides it's a good idea to check the "Skip when shuffling" checkbox for all podcasts the moment it downloads them:

User uploaded file

Unchecking these manually for each podcast is my current workaround, and does indeed include them when playing the playlist, but this is obviously not a permanent fix. Is there any way to tell iTunes to play podcasts when shuffling by default?

Why won't iTunes play podcasts in my Smart Playlist?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.