Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

DeEsser Plugin in GarageBand

Hey all!

I really need a hand setting up the DeEsser plugin for audio tracks(Vocal podcast) in garage band.

I have found the plugin, but don't know where to start with the settings. my voice has a bad SSSS sound when recorded and I really need to fix it up.

Any help would be greatly appreciated I just don't know where to start. 🙂

Sten

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Yosemite (10.10.5), null

Posted on Sep 22, 2015 1:13 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 22, 2015 9:51 PM

A De-Esser is basically a compressor that acts only on a specific frequency (narrow frequency band).

GarageBand's De-Esser makes it very easy to setup, because it has only two parameters, the two important ant ones.

Suppression Frequency [Hz]: This is the frequency (your SSSS) that will be compressed, reduced in level

Supression [dB]: This is the amount, the level, how much that frequency band is reduced

User uploaded file

Setting up a DeEsser has two important steps. First you have to identify the frequency and then adjust how much you want to reduce it:

Here are the steps:

• Set the Suppression to an extreme, -20dB (all the way to the right)
  • Now listen to your track and slide the frequency to hear when the bad SSSS disappear (are reduced). You can also use the EQ Analyzer to see spot the peaks and their corresponding frequency
  • Once you isolate the frequency, adjust the Supresion amount. As low as possible to reduce the SSS, but not to low that you hear a negative side effect (lisp)
  • Please note that you can use two DeEsser on that same track, working on different frequency bands, in case you have two "trouble spots"
  • For tricky material, note that you can use automation to alter the parameters
  • Ultimately, it is a compromise and the result may vary depending on your material. At the end, your ear is your judge.

Hope that helps

Edgar Rothermich - LogicProGEM.com

(Author of the "Graphically Enhanced Manuals")

http://DingDingMusic.com/Manuals/

'I may receive some form of compensation, financial or otherwise, from my recommendation or link.'

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 22, 2015 9:51 PM in response to StenLuke

A De-Esser is basically a compressor that acts only on a specific frequency (narrow frequency band).

GarageBand's De-Esser makes it very easy to setup, because it has only two parameters, the two important ant ones.

Suppression Frequency [Hz]: This is the frequency (your SSSS) that will be compressed, reduced in level

Supression [dB]: This is the amount, the level, how much that frequency band is reduced

User uploaded file

Setting up a DeEsser has two important steps. First you have to identify the frequency and then adjust how much you want to reduce it:

Here are the steps:

• Set the Suppression to an extreme, -20dB (all the way to the right)
  • Now listen to your track and slide the frequency to hear when the bad SSSS disappear (are reduced). You can also use the EQ Analyzer to see spot the peaks and their corresponding frequency
  • Once you isolate the frequency, adjust the Supresion amount. As low as possible to reduce the SSS, but not to low that you hear a negative side effect (lisp)
  • Please note that you can use two DeEsser on that same track, working on different frequency bands, in case you have two "trouble spots"
  • For tricky material, note that you can use automation to alter the parameters
  • Ultimately, it is a compromise and the result may vary depending on your material. At the end, your ear is your judge.

Hope that helps

'I may receive some form of compensation, financial or otherwise, from my recommendation or link.'

Sep 23, 2015 11:56 PM in response to StenLuke

This is actually a more philosophical question, "record with or without effects". And like with most answers, it "depends".

In general, you want to record the best signal you can get. Change the microphone, change the position, (change the musician). The problem of recording with effects (eq, compressor, deesser, etc) is that you cannot undo the effect later.

The only exception is when you have to do minor tweaks (roll off bottom end, compress to avoid tape hiss), that need to be done anywys. This was more important in the old days when recording on magnetic tape to overcome some of the limitations.

So to answer your question, I would not apply the effect during recording

Hope that helps

DeEsser Plugin in GarageBand

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.