Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Autism help: How can I RESTRICT access to the Personal Hotspot function on my son's iPhone 6?

My adult son has an iphone 6 primarily used for safety (imessage, find my iphone). He also has a wifi-only ipad used for enjoyment of youtube/safari. He carries both with him at all times wherever he goes.

On his iphone: I am able to turn on cellular restrictions for many "high data usage" apps like youtube and safari, while leaving the cellular data on for other apps like Find my Iphone, imessage, that are imperative for his personal safety and communication. I am able set up a password (not shared with my son) that allows me to turn on/off these selected cellular data restrictions on his phone easily.

I am trying to manage the cellular data usage on my son's iphone 6 because he keeps on tethering his phone and his ipad when he is not in a wifi zone. I cannot figure out how to disable the hotspot to prevent such tethering. He's working around my cellular data restrictions (youtube/safari) on his phone by tethering!

How can I password restrict or eliminate the access to "Personal Hotspot"? Because now he can just turn on the iphone hotspot and tether any other wifi-enabled mobile device to it (ipad). He is incurring massive data charges because i am unable to restrict the personal hotspot. Yet it is crucial that he have access to data services on his phone for personal safety. And he also loves using his ipad.

He has serious cognitive impairments so simply saying "don't turn on the hotspot" isn't going to work. But I can't hide the hotspot password from him either, its clearly visible. Turning off cellular data completely from his iphone isn't an option either, because the "find my iphone" and imessage app's are crucial to his safety.

Ideas???

iPhone 6, iOS 9, Personal Hotspot

Posted on Sep 21, 2015 9:45 PM

3 replies

Autism help: How can I RESTRICT access to the Personal Hotspot function on my son's iPhone 6?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.