Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mail "aliases" gone. Mail.app refuses to allow me to correct it

Have a bunch of macs and have used .mac email address since it was invented.

On my latest OSX installation iCloud have decided to use .me instead as my email address. I am logged in as a .mac user.

All my other email aliases that I have in .mac are also gone on this specific mac.

All other macs have correct settings including all email aliases in .mac.

Have tried to disable/enable mail in iCloud panel. Don't work.

Tried to change my email aliases/add email aliases in preference panel mail.app: the mac refuses to save it (it just hangs)

So: what can I do?

Each mail I send is sent from the wrong official email address (.me instead of .mac)

Play windows and reinstall OSX? (have done a distiutil check on Root disk)

Posted on Sep 21, 2015 11:08 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 12, 2015 6:26 AM

Try a restart.

Do a backup, using either Time Machine or a cloning program, to ensure files/data can be recovered. Two backups are better than one.

Try setting up another admin user account to see if the same problem continues. If Back-to-My Mac is selected in System Preferences, the Guest account will not work. The intent is to see if it is specific to one account or a system wide problem. This account can be deleted later.

Isolating an issue by using another user account

If the problem is still there, try booting into the Safe Mode using your normal account. Disconnect all peripherals except those needed for the test. Shut down the computer and then power it back up after waiting 10 seconds. Immediately after hearing the startup chime, hold down the shift key and continue to hold it until the gray Apple icon and a progress bar appear. The boot up is significantly slower than normal. This will reset some caches, forces a directory check, and disables all startup and login items, among other things. When you reboot normally, the initial reboot may be slower than normal. If the system operates normally, there may be 3rd party applications which are causing a problem. Try deleting/disabling the third party applications after a restart by using the application un-installer. For each disable/delete, you will need to restart if you don't do them all at once.

Safe Mode - About

Safe Mode - Yosemite

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 12, 2015 6:26 AM in response to Shompa

Try a restart.

Do a backup, using either Time Machine or a cloning program, to ensure files/data can be recovered. Two backups are better than one.

Try setting up another admin user account to see if the same problem continues. If Back-to-My Mac is selected in System Preferences, the Guest account will not work. The intent is to see if it is specific to one account or a system wide problem. This account can be deleted later.

Isolating an issue by using another user account

If the problem is still there, try booting into the Safe Mode using your normal account. Disconnect all peripherals except those needed for the test. Shut down the computer and then power it back up after waiting 10 seconds. Immediately after hearing the startup chime, hold down the shift key and continue to hold it until the gray Apple icon and a progress bar appear. The boot up is significantly slower than normal. This will reset some caches, forces a directory check, and disables all startup and login items, among other things. When you reboot normally, the initial reboot may be slower than normal. If the system operates normally, there may be 3rd party applications which are causing a problem. Try deleting/disabling the third party applications after a restart by using the application un-installer. For each disable/delete, you will need to restart if you don't do them all at once.

Safe Mode - About

Safe Mode - Yosemite

Oct 12, 2015 6:26 AM in response to Shompa

Maybe this thread could be moved to El Capitan?

Every single mac with El capitan have lost all my email aliases and mail.app don't even let me force change my email adress.

I therefore have wrong email adress in some macs and can't change it.

Had 10 email aliases from .mac days including a main .mac email adress that I can't use anymore 😟

Oct 12, 2015 6:40 AM in response to Shompa

I'll ask the hosts to move the thread to El Capitan.

Try Mail/Preferences/Accounts /Account Information. Select an account, then go to Outgoing Mail Server (SMTP). From the drop down menu select Edit SMPT server list. Then set up a server for each mail account so that is associated with the e-mail address. Then go to each account and set that server as the Outgoing Mail Server (SMPT). You can click Use only this server if desired.

Mail/Preferences/Composing/Send to messages from - set to account of selected mailbox.

Nov 5, 2015 1:50 PM in response to Eric Root

Same thing happened to me, but I have not downgraded to El Capitan. I went into Mail>Preferences>Accounts>Account Settings. At first, "Alias" for my iCloud account showed only my main account and none of my aliases. I clicked around between my different accounts (one icloud, two gmail and one exchange). When i went back to the main page, all of my aliases had reappeared. I know this isn't too helpful, as i have no idea what fixed the problem, but maybe clicking around will work for somebody else, too.

Mail "aliases" gone. Mail.app refuses to allow me to correct it

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.