Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

SIM Not Valid

Why isn't my SIM working?

iPhone 5s, iOS 9, 16 GB un-locked

Posted on Sep 21, 2015 11:02 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 22, 2015 2:10 AM

Did you already try the troubleshooting tips mentioned in this article?

If you get an alert about the SIM card in your iPhone - Apple Support

9 replies

Apr 30, 2016 5:06 PM in response to nelliefrombristol

SIM NOT VALID

Okay, here is the situation with the overseas locked iPhone. This has happened to me twice with two different verizon iphone 6's which were both Applecare Replacement phones. First let me say that neither Apple or Verizon have been honest about this problem, they just refer you to the other company, which is really not nice. By mistake, a Verizon rep called Apple with my IMEI # and then told me my phone was locked to Tracphone (prepaid carrier). So, for months and months Apple and Verizon both asked me for my IMEI # and neither would disclose that I had a locked phone. I called them from Australia, India etc. They said... uh... call Verizon.....Uh call Apple. This was infuriating because they both knew my iPhone 6 was locked but would not disclose it. The more I called, the more I waited while lots of people "clicked in" on my call. This was the same at Apple and Verizon. The time they wasted of mine, all the while knowing Apple replacement phones are locked. Applecare does ask you what carrier you have before sending the phone to you. But once overseas....... See ya! So while an Apple rep may say (as did those who I spoke with) that your phone is locked to Verizon..... it is, simply said, a lie. If they were to disclose to all their customers who call them from overseas, that they really have a locked phone to another carrier (i.e. Tracphone), can you believe the backlash!!! Originally I purchased a 128 gb iPhone 6 from Verizon when the upgrade date came due.

Technically, I don't know how to do a IMEI search independently, but suggest all people who have this problem do one. It's the only way to expose the real issue here. It's a waste of time to ask Verizon and Apple to figure it out. They actually know why the problem is happening. Check it out and you will see.

Apr 30, 2016 5:13 PM in response to CSAI108

Actually, all Verizon LTE capable phones are unlocked at the GSM side as a requirement of the FCC. As far as Tracfone is concerned, they are an MVNO, and if they contact Apple to lock your device to their network, that is another issue in itself. Tracfone does not have its own network assets, so they have to use a major carrier network. When Apple replaces a Verizon device, it is not locked on the GSM side, and they will not contact Apple to lock a GSM phone, they cannot do that. If Tracfone contacts Apple to lock your phone, your issue is with them, not Verizon, or Apple actually.

Apr 30, 2016 5:53 PM in response to ChrisJ4203

Chris, there have apparently been a few instances where Apple replaced a phone with a refurb, and did not change the SIM lock to the same status as the phone that was replaced. It's an error, but it has happened. There have been several discussions of it, and CSAI108 has been part of those threads. So there's nothing new here, and it is possible to resolve, but it takes jumping through some hoops. I don't see the point in CSAI108 resurrecting this in a stale thread; I suggest just ignoring it..

Apr 30, 2016 9:48 PM in response to Lawrence Finch

Lawrence, has someone put you in charge of this Apple Forum? Last I checked, you were telling people for months that SIM NOT VALID was not even a real problem. Why would you keep hanging around this forum while you don't believe in the problem and are trying to downplay the real issue people are struggling with. I have kept posting here because more people are being given these locked phones and are having no luck getting answers from Apple or Verizon. Look around a little and you will see. I recommend people with problem ignore Lawrence until he starts getting a few things right instead of letting him make you think it is something that requires his technical expertise.

Apr 30, 2016 9:56 PM in response to ChrisJ4203

Actually, this is not true. Tracfone can configure their phones. Verizon said to me "you have a locked Tracfone causing the international lock"

Apple said "After checking your IMEI, your phone is locked to Tracfone" So I said, well you gave me the Tracfone, why not call them and have them unlock it. They said, Apple can't do that, you have to call Verizon, they are your carrier.

So, I call Verizon, they say, we didn't replace your phone, you have to get Apple to Internationally unlock your locked Tracfone.

So, I call Apple, they say, "well, Tracfone uses some Verizon networks so they have a business agreement with Verizon" Call Verizon.

Can you imagine doing this from overseas? Then the same thing when you arrive stateside? It's crazy.

Sep 5, 2016 1:31 PM in response to ChrisJ4203

Apple never replaced my device while I was overseas but replaced it when I returned home due to another issue. What you are saying is correct, the phone has to be unlocked via the company that it is locked to. (i.e. Tracfone) The

problem is, Tracfone does not recognize me as a customer because Verizon is my carrier. A simple online complaint about this SIM NOT VALID problem to the FCC and some cooperation from Apple and Verizon began to occur. Another replacement iphone6 was sent to me by Apple.

Now I am overseas with the new replacement iPhone 6 sent by Apple to resolve the FCC Complaint and..........drumroll please.......SIM NOT VALID. I didn't even activate the iphone6 domestically so there's no question about "being on Verizon's Network"

SIM Not Valid

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.