Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Dialog fonts showing as boxed A's

When I get dialog box errors or messages, the display font is messed up. They show up like this:

User uploaded file

Does anyone know how I can fix this? All other system fonts are fine, but dialog boxes all do this. I have validated my fonts, ran "FontNuke", cleared the font cache, etc and it still hasn't been fixed.

Any suggestions are welcome outside of reinstalling OS X.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Yosemite (10.10.4), 13" mid 2014

Posted on Sep 22, 2015 2:33 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 22, 2015 7:39 PM

Mac Security Dialog is Garbled

4 replies

Sep 22, 2015 4:00 PM in response to Kazeboy96

I have the same problem on one of my MB Airs. I copied and pasted that text into TextEdit and found that it SHOULD be Times, but is "converting"? to Helvetica Neue. I'm having this problem with Safari, iTunes, Keynote and the App Store (Apple applications), but Firefox, Word, TextEdit and other non-Apple applications are just fine. I created a new Admin user to see if it was limited to just one user, but the same thing happens with the new user, too.

Looks like my system fonts got hosed some kind of way, but I cannot figure out how or how to fix this. I'm seeing there are a LOT of people also having this problem on the Discussion Boards.

WHAT GIVES, APPLE?

Dialog fonts showing as boxed A's

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.