Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Configurator suddenly unable to install apps

I provide IT support to a primary school which has 16 x iPad 2 and 16 x iPad Air. They are mostly running iOS 8.4.1.

They are being managed by a Mac Mini running OS X Yosemite 10.10.5 and Apple Configurator 1.7.2 (360).

A mixture of paid and free educational apps are installed on the iPads. When the school bought their first iPads about 2 years ago I set up a profile to clamp down the iPads and centrally install and update apps and all has been working fine.

Last week when I downloaded and tried to install the latest iMovie update it failed and informed me that the iPad OS needed updating so I upgraded 2 of the iPads 2s to IOS 9.

Now I am unable to install or update any apps. The error message I get is "Installation of apps is prohibited by a policy on t..."

So, two questions:

How can I see the full error message as I cannot increase the size of the popup window which appears when I click on the question mark and More Details in Apple Configurator)?

What is my underlying problem and is there a fix?

Andy

Posted on Sep 22, 2015 3:39 AM

6 replies

Oct 10, 2015 6:52 AM in response to andytatstjohns

IOS9 is compatible with 1.7.2, and Yosemite 10.10. However if you installed 10.11 which is EL Capitan then AC 2 is the way to go. Your original post and your second conflict. Are you signed into to Apple Configurator? This is new to 1.7.2 . Look under the menu for the sign in.

AC2 is very different from past versions, but offers some nice features. I have not upgraded yet (I am managing 450 iPads) , and will do so after, I am certain the transition will go smooth.

Apple Configurator suddenly unable to install apps

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.