Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Wake on LAN not working

Cannot get iMac 27" running Yosemite 10.10.5 to wake with magic packet

Having searched everywhere for advice this is what I do and I'm told it should work:

- Turn on "Wake for network access" in System Preference>Energy Saver

- Get the MAC address from Sys Pref>Network>Ethernet>Advanced>Hardware

- Put the MAC address into the app "Wake me" (http://wakeme.turuga.ro/) on another ethernet connected iMac on the same network

- Put the computer to sleep and wait a few minutes.

- Press Wake Me....nothing

I've also tried and assortment of iPhone apps including Wake and iNet WOL to send the packet and two different routers, a BT home hub and a time capsule. I can always see the magic packet using "WoL monitor" on my iPhone so i don't think this is the problem. I've tried the ports 4343, 9 and 7 and I've also been able to wake a PC using a similar method so I'm pretty sure the problem lies within Yosemite.

The ultimate aim is to be able to wake the computers at the remotely office using a Raspberry Pi and then control them using Teamviewer

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.5)

Posted on Sep 22, 2015 3:15 AM

8 replies

Apr 12, 2017 7:50 PM in response to unexpected_ace

unexpected_ace wrote:

Thank you for your reply. I have a time capsule and my computer recognizes the sleep proxy server when checked through terminal. As the OP mentioned, I had WOL working fine in 10.10.3. After 10.10.4 update and ever since WOL works very short term then stops. I even tried downgrading back to 10.10.3 and it was working again. Clearly too many features have been added in OSX to still be running that so I eventually updated again. I'm not sure what changed to prevent the wake.

You should file a bug, so that you know Apple is aware of your issues

BugReporter (Free ADC (Apple Developer Connection)) account needed for BugReporter

<http://bugreporter.apple.com>

Anyone can get a free ADC account at:

<https://developer.apple.com/register/index.action>

Apr 11, 2017 10:08 AM in response to Duffman1914

This still doesn't work for me. Can anyone offer any help? I am able to wake whenever I want as long as I am on the local network. If I disable wifi and use my phones network I am able to wake for a limited time from TeamViewer and the Mocha WOL app, then it won't do anything anymore. I have UDP Port 9 forwarded on my router already and Wake for Network Access checked in my settings. Not sure what else needs to be done. This is all I have seen in forums.

Apr 11, 2017 7:00 PM in response to unexpected_ace

unexpected_ace wrote:

This still doesn't work for me. Can anyone offer any help? I am able to wake whenever I want as long as I am on the local network. If I disable wifi and use my phones network I am able to wake for a limited time from TeamViewer and the Mocha WOL app, then it won't do anything anymore. I have UDP Port 9 forwarded on my router already and Wake for Network Access checked in my settings. Not sure what else needs to be done. This is all I have seen in forums.

Wake-on-LAN is not a protocol that can be routed. For one thing, the MAC address is not something that can be used to address your Mac across the internet.

If you want to wake your Mac from across the internet you need a Bonjour Sleep Proxy server

<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bonjour_Sleep_Proxy>

There are some routers that offer this service (Apple's Airport Extreme, Time Capsule and Airport Express being a few Apple branded Bonjour Sleep Proxy servers). Also Apple TV will offer to be a sleep proxy server.

Apr 11, 2017 10:59 PM in response to BobHarris

Thank you for your reply. I have a time capsule and my computer recognizes the sleep proxy server when checked through terminal. As the OP mentioned, I had WOL working fine in 10.10.3. After 10.10.4 update and ever since WOL works very short term then stops. I even tried downgrading back to 10.10.3 and it was working again. Clearly too many features have been added in OSX to still be running that so I eventually updated again. I'm not sure what changed to prevent the wake.

Sep 22, 2015 11:44 AM in response to btw1993

I haven't been able to wake my computer remotely since I updated to 10.10.4. Even if I downgrade back to 10.10.3 with no other changes it will work again. I have used an app called RemoteBoot previously to wake it from my phone and ipad, but that's no longer working. I have also tried using teamviewer to wake it remotely.

Wake will work if I do it within a few minutes after it goes to sleep. If you wait too long it is as if the system goes into a hibernation mode where the system no longer accepts network packets to wake.

The results are the same in 10.10.5 also.

Wake on LAN not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.