Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't add Discover card to Watch paired with iPhone 5s

I am unable to add a Discover card to my Apple Watch paired with iPhone 5s

I get all the way through the Apple Pay setup in the Watch app to "Contacting card issuer" and it returns a "Could not add card" error.

When I contacted Discover's tech support, they said they are not supporting the iPhone 5/5C/5s with Apple Watch, only iPhone 6 and later. This is a disappointing development when every other card issuer I have is supporting Apple Pay just fine on my Watch + 5s combo.

Why would they not support a configuration that Apple supports?

Apple Watch, iOS 9, WatchOS 2

Posted on Sep 22, 2015 5:05 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 22, 2015 5:36 AM

Only Discover can answer that.

You might wish to let Apple know what Discover told you:

https://www.apple.com/feedback/apple-pay.html

15 replies

Sep 22, 2015 2:24 PM in response to Mies van der Robot

Incorrect! You can have a 5S and an Apple Watch with your discover. A user on Macrumors was able to provide insight. Unpair your watch from your phone. Then repair the watch back to your phone, you can restore from backup when you repair so none of your settings/apps have to be re-setup. Once that is complete, shouldn't take more than 20 mins, go ahead and try to add your Discover card to your wallet. Should work just fine. I was able to add my card after this. Good luck!

Sep 24, 2015 9:55 PM in response to c1pher

Not sure if unpair/repair helped because I did that and initially it didn't work until I realized my iPhone and Watch were on two different networks because of how Netgear sets their routers up with a separate 2.4 and a 5 that talk to each other. So the watch and phone were talking with everything else but once I put the phone on the 2.4 it paired Apple Pay right away.

Sep 26, 2015 5:29 AM in response to Mies van der Robot

Success setting up Discover with Apple Pay on iPhone 5 with Apple Watch following suggestions from post

iPhone iOS 9.1

watch 2.0

1. Setup Discover as default card on iTunes
  2. Unpair watch from iPhone 5 (Takes 3-5min)
  3. Pair watch and iPhone 5 (Restore from backup worked)
  4. Watch setup asks to add Apple Pay with default account card (match from iTunes card)
  5. Requests just the security code on back
  6. Success after text verification code
  7. Success adding 2nd Discover card from Apple Pay menus
  8. Note: 2nd approved cards are also successfully added to iPhone 6 Apple Pay.

Prior this sequence (update, iTunes, unpair, pair) I had the Discover cards successfully paired on iP6 and a This Card is not supported on iP5+watch

The default iTunes card was AMEX and was able to added it to Apple Pay on iP5+W so the system works yet Discover cards would not.

Thanks to the suggestion to update, iTunes, unpair, pair

Oct 16, 2015 8:36 PM in response to ILovePotato

I called Discover as well and they said they thought it was a problem on Apple's end. They had me restart the iPad and I was able to add the Discover card no problem. They could see those "tries" as they came through, even the one that failed yesterday. They haven't received any pings from the iPhone/watch. The rep said they're working on it, but who knows how long this will take...likely after their 2X cashback promotion ends.

Can't add Discover card to Watch paired with iPhone 5s

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.