Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Avria anti-virus

I am trying Avira free anti-virus but cannot see how to scan any individual file I download. Can anyone help please?

Mac mini, OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Sep 22, 2015 6:43 AM

8 replies

Sep 22, 2015 10:04 AM in response to digitalprinter03

That vulnerability had nothing to do with viruses, and it has been fixed, and neither "Avira" nor anything like it would have protected you before it was fixed. As for what you call a "respected publication," that's a matter of opinion. The technology press is generally in the pocket of the "anti-virus" industry. But if you want to cripple your computer with useless garbage software, that's of course your privilege. Enjoy it in good health.

Sep 22, 2015 5:37 PM in response to digitalprinter03

Computing Which? does not accept any adverts they are a charity.

I'm afraid you have been led astray.

Please review that website's privacy policy, a portion of which follows:

We, and the ad companies which work on our behalf may serve you adverts on other websites about things which you’ve shown an interest in on our own website.

Therefore whatever that "publication" is, it is certainly not a charity nor it is providing a public service – notwithstanding the fact that "charity" should imply any freedom whatsoever from political or other bias. You would be hard pressed to come up with a single unbiased "charity" anywhere on Earth.

Follow the money. Works every time.

"Avira" is junk. Uninstall it according to its instructions. Unfortunately, like most ill-conceived garbage, its uninstallation instructions are not completely effective. The following files and folders will remain and require manual removal:

~/Library/Application Support/Avira

/Library/Application Support/Avira

~/Library/Saved Application State/com.avira.uninstall.savedState

~/Library/Saved Application State/com.avira.controlcenter.savedState

/var/log/com.avira.helper.watchdox.log

Good luck.

Avria anti-virus

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.