Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Problems with DELL P2415Q monitor not waking from sleep.

I have two Dell P2415Q monitors hooked up to a MacPro (2013). I've followed the proper procedure to connecting them to the display port buses, etc.

The monitors work fine while they are on. Though I've noticed since upgrading to Yosemite that they do not properly awake after going into energy saver mode. My machine is setup to not go into sleep. Just put the displays to sleep after 10 mins.

At completely random times when I go to wake up the displays (hitting a keyboard key), one or both do not wake up. The Lights in the corner remain white and nothing appears. Even a restart doesn't seem to help, it's as if they are locked in a "deep sleep".

The only way to remedy the situation is to unplug the monitor power, and plug back in. Last night both got stuck, and I had to perform this fix on both individual – in other wards, neither reacted to the fact the other was "awakened".

I looked through the Dell settings and the energy saver settings are sparse at best.

Does anyone have any similar experiences with this or other displays recently?

Thanks!

Steve

Mac Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.2), 32GB RAM, 3.5Ghz 6-Core, Dual D500

Posted on Sep 22, 2015 7:05 AM

17 replies

Feb 3, 2017 1:10 PM in response to Stephen Barrante

Similar issues here. Monitor worked fine under Yosemite (I was slow to upgrade my Mac Mini) and never had this issue. After I went to Sierra in December, it started occurring. Now it's almost daily. I've tried every workaround posted except for replacing the cable (one's on the way) and no joy and I have to restart the Mac to fix.

This would seem to be a Mac issue as I've tried disconnecting the cable from the Mini and switching it to my MBP. The monitor immediately woke up and worked fine, but when I switched back to the Mini, it wouldn't respond. I suspect there's a driver issue that (pardon the layman's terms) the Mac think's it in one state and won't send another "wake up" signal to the monitor, or there are multiple levels of signaling and it's not sending the right one. Or possibly there's some HDCP protocol problem or key exchange that isn't taking place in certain scenarios.

Either way, the monitor clearly works, with that specific cable, and the only difference is which Mac it's hooked to.

Sep 22, 2015 7:28 AM in response to lllaass

The power buttons unfortunately doesn't respond. I've tried a quick tap, as well as pressing and holding. It's like they get locked up once they computer puts them into sleep.

Yes, I have them distributed between the 3 busses. Monitor 1 is on bus 1, monitor two is on bus 2. and my LED TV is using the HDMI port, so I don't use bus 0.

If it were a bus issue, I think my problem would be an immediate loss of display. I'm trying to eliminate the issue being with the Mac or OS, any the only reason that is leading me to it being on the Mac side is that it didn't start happening until I added my second monitor. I previously had one P2415Q and an older 2007FP.

Sep 24, 2015 8:49 AM in response to Stephen Barrante

Hi, just wanted to add that this problem is still around for those of us with these Dell monitors. I have 2 P2414Qs and they both have the same issue. Works perfectly while on, but don't wake from sleep reliably.

The only difference for me is that using the power buttons on the monitor always works eventually. My procedure is to turn off the monitor (press once), wait a couple of seconds and then turn on again (press once).

The delay seems to be required (in my case) for the Mac Pro to notice that the monitor has disappeared.

Also, a tip that makes this easier to live with is to turn on "Monitors as separate spaces" in System prefs. That way, the Mac Pro seems to remember which window was on which monitor, rather than dumping them all onto the left most monitor.

Oct 22, 2015 7:35 PM in response to Stephen Barrante

I have the P2415Q connected via the mini-display port (Thunderbolt port). My display wakes up after the screen goes to sleep without any issues.

My input source on the monitor is DP (not miniDP). So the cable is miniDP to DP (small to large).

MST is off. I have not noticed and difference with MST on (multi-stream)

Resolution is running at 3840x2160 at 60Hz.

My system is MacBook Pro 2015 15 inch El Capitan 10.11 with Graphics Radeon R9 M370X.

I am only running one external monitor and the built in display.

I hope this helps.

By the way, I love this monitor. It is a larger version of the built in retina display. The fonts are very smooth and makes working on the Mac a pleasure and I feel it has reduced my eye strain. Much better than my old 1920x1080 monitor.

Nov 5, 2015 9:12 AM in response to M Sargent

Funny thing: I have the exact same configuration and it's nothing but trouble. Not only will the Dell not recognize the Macbook (15" Pro 2015) when it wakes up but the Macbook itself will hang with no or distroted graphics and has to be hard-reset. This happens approx. 10 times a week during usual office use.

Very annoying thing.

But thanks for pointing out that there are systems that do work. I will try a different cable.

Jan 5, 2016 5:40 AM in response to Stephen Barrante

Did anyone ever find a solution to this issue? I am having the same problem. The monitor randomly does not wake up from sleep, and the power button is unresponsive. The only thing that works it to unplug the monitor from the wall and plug it back in again. Do we think this is an issue with the monitor or the mac? I have a MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2014) running Yosemite 10.10.4 (14E46).

Jan 18, 2016 6:07 AM in response to Kasper FC

This doesn't all the time but when it does its a real pain in the butt. I'll add I have to also unplug the HDMI cable from the monitor and let it sit for 30 seconds before things start working again. I've tried multiple cables with both HDMI and DVI and I was never able to figure out what the trigger was. I'm going to start tapping the monitor power button before I leave from now on. Oh by the way that's running 10.11.2 on a 2015 MBP 13".

Problems with DELL P2415Q monitor not waking from sleep.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.