Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari locked for security reasons

I got a pop up that says

"Your apple device has been locked for security reasons. You are advised to call the number the helpline number +1-800-457-5916 as soon as possible. Please do not use your device it may lead to stealing of data, contacts and personal information.

Kindly speak to the customer care representative in order to get this resolved. Call Support for Apple now on +1-800-457-5916"

Is this a legit thing or is someone trying to hack my phone?

iPhone 4S

Posted on Sep 22, 2015 9:34 AM

10 replies

Dec 11, 2017 5:11 PM in response to prhsb9961

Omg, I did this just today. I got the message pop up on my iPad. I rang the number, she told me to hook my iPad up to my laptop & to join a meeting thing. I did all that & she was typing stuff on a notepad on my laptop from her end. I only just got the laptop so there’s not much on there but I have a lot of stuff on my iPad. The woman I spoke to told me the issue occurred because I have a network security issue. When I told the man she put me through to that I don’t have $260 to pay for all the security stuff he was offering he started to get irate with me. I ended up hanging up & closing all the stuff on my laptop. Once I unplugged my iPad from the laptop it was working fine again. Anyone know what has happened? Can they steal my identity & stuff?

Dec 24, 2017 4:35 AM in response to short.stuff81au

Be careful guys. I was on my safari streaming NFL games off of reddit, and got many pop ups and also got this one. I’ve been streaming movies and stuff for years and never got this. Not too soon after I got a message from my internet/WiFi provider I was using that day and it said I was doing something illegal. Guess it was piracy. They said they can shut off our cable/WiFi. And the thing iis my internet and cable for my house are two different companies. So don’t take this message lightly.

Sep 22, 2015 9:38 AM in response to frustrated-user36

1. Reset the iPad/iPhone

Press and hold the Sleep/Wake button on your iPad.

Simultaneously press and hold down the “Home” button” until the screen turns off.

Turn it back on.

2. Clear information from your device

iOS 7

Tap Settings > Safari > Clear History > Clear Cookies and Data.

iOS 8

Tap Settings > Safari >“Clear History” and then tap “Clear History and Website Data ”.

Feb 12, 2016 9:47 AM in response to k.jahay

I got the same message today and called the 800 number. Someone with an Indian accent answered, told me they can help me with this and I needed to connect my device to my laptop using the ipad charger. I got suspicious and asked them to identify themselves by name, department in apple, and asked them to give me a number at Apple that will directly connect me to them. He got upset and told me that if I do not trust him, I should hang up now, and call Apple. He immediately hang up the phone. I subsequently called Apple helpdesk and got it fixed by clearing safari history and data in settings.

Clearly, the idea was to get connected to my laptop, get control of my laptop and obtain whatever information they were after. Please be careful and never let anyone connect to your laptop etc.

Safari locked for security reasons

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.