Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Xsan 4 not mount volume on client

Hi, I work in an University in Barcelona Spain, we have a xsan network with one Promise 20Tb, two xserve (10.10.5) and 10 clients (10.10.5), server app 4.0.3

We work until now with xsan 3 and no problems, now we need update to Yosemite and Xsan 4 because we need final cut 10.2.2.

I formated the servers and clients and installed 10.10.5.

Followed the instructions in: https://macvfx.wordpress.com/2014/10/16/xsan-4-in-os-x-10-10-yosemite/

I configure the two MDC, export the configuration profile, copied in clients but the volume is not mounted.

Any idea where is the problem?

Posted on Sep 22, 2015 11:45 AM

4 replies

Oct 4, 2015 9:46 PM in response to ferranlluctv

Need more information.

Does the Xsan volume mount on the Xsan controller(s)?

Did you install the Xsan configuration profile by hand (either terminal or double-click in the Finder)? Did you use the Server admin pass to authorize it?

Are the LUNs showing up? (check with "cvlabel -l", or "diskutil list", or System Profiler.app, and Disk Utility.app)

Are the config files in place?

What hardware is involved (besides Promise RAID)? Old / new Mac Pros, 4GB FC, or 8GB FC ATTO or Promise HBAs?

If you did an upgrade of your old setup it would have been pretty straight forward (as it was in the blog post).

Need more information to evaluate your situation.

Oct 5, 2015 8:21 AM in response to Mathieu Mauser

Hi Mathieu!

Does the Xsan volume mount on the Xsan controller(s)?

Yes the xsan volumen is mounted in both metadata controllers.

Did you install the Xsan configuration profile by hand (either terminal or double-click in the Finder)? Did you use the Server admin pass to authorize it?

I tried install configuration with profile manager, export the file from server and double click in clients. Tried with server admin pass and with out

Are the LUNs showing up? (check with "cvlabel -l", or "diskutil list", or System Profiler.app, and Disk Utility.app)

Yes, I can see the Luns in terminal and Disk Utility

Are the config files in place?

Which one?

What hardware is involved (besides Promise RAID)? Old / new Mac Pros, 4GB FC, or 8GB FC ATTO or Promise HBAs?

2 Xserve 3.1 (Metadata servers) mac os x 10.10.5

1 Promise VTrack E610f (16x2tb)

10 mac pros (clients) mac os x 10.10.5

All connected with fiber, metadata network and local network.

If you did an upgrade of your old setup it would have been pretty straight forward (as it was in the blog post).

Nop, a new installation with yosemite.

Thanks a lot!

Oct 15, 2015 9:52 AM in response to ferranlluctv

Solved!

The problem is auth_secret file and dns in clients

My procedure:

Install servers and clients

Configure xsan in servers

export profile

create a .tar file of the auth_secret (the file is hide) because we need the same permissions and properties of original file.

Copy the both files in the client

untar the file and copy in library/preferences/xsan

go system preferences/network/advanced/dns/ and copy the ip of primary mdc in dns servers.

install the xsan profile and voilà!

Enjoy the Xsan!

Oct 15, 2015 10:08 AM in response to ferranlluctv

Excellent news. Glad you figure it out.

I don't know all the details of your environment but pointing to your MDCs for DNS might have solved your issues if they were looking elsewhere for DNS and couldn't find your Server info in there.

And .auth_secret files should have moved over, you did it manually, but whatever it takes sometimes.

🙂

-x

Xsan 4 not mount volume on client

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.