Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac i5 3.2 27-inch (late 2013) ports/manual

I just noticed that the manual that came with my iMac is the wrong manual; however, I've found the correct one and will be downloading it as soon as the site is open again.

I noticed the discrepancy when I was trying to identify the ports on the back of my iMac. Here is the correct picture. It matches my computer. My questions are,(1) is the port on the far left (headphone) also known as (Mini DisplayPort output with support for DVI, VGA, and dual-link DVI ? Also, (2) Where/what is the Kensington lock slot?

User uploaded file

iMac, Late 2013 model

Posted on Sep 22, 2015 12:10 PM

16 replies

Sep 22, 2015 1:54 PM in response to turingtest2

The link you sent is aptly named: CONFUSING. It didn't help me one bit. However, I now think that I was right. First, the image and the list are from the same picture. Secondly, by the process of elimination, that port on the far left must be known in the two ways mentioned. (2) I searched the Internet for a picture of a Kensington Lock Slot. Although there seems to be no end to the images available, I couldn't find one that was conclusive. Nevertheless, I now believe that it is the small hole, not slot, directly beneath the Power Port, that is used in some way to secure the computer. I'm sure that further research would reveal all, but I'm just not that interested, Hopefully, someone will be kind enough to solve the mystery for us.

Sep 24, 2015 8:36 AM in response to Niku

Here are a couple of great sources for accurate info on ALL Macs

http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/imac/specs/imac-core-i5-3.2-27-inch-alumin um-late-2013-specs.html

*NOTE: the TABs above the meaty part of the info "PORTS"

https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/iMac+Intel+27-Inch+Retina+5K+Display+Teardown/30 260

*Don't let this alarm you. it has good photos and descriptive captioning.

Sep 24, 2015 8:45 AM in response to ChitlinsCC

I don't understand how the awards: "This helped me, and "This solved my question" are awarded. I keep seeing these comments even though I had not made them. Anyway, although you were awarded the latter without my help, I thought I should say that this award was correct in your case. You did solve the problem. The information you supplied was conclusive. Thank you. Now if I can just get this site to stop making awards in my name without any input from me, I'll have to find something else to gripe about.

Sep 24, 2015 10:41 AM in response to Niku

As the original poster you are limited to awarding two helpfuls and one solved. The forum software can be quirky from time to time, for example not updating to show that the awards have been given, particularly solved which nearly always requires a refresh when it shouldn't, or sometimes not displaying the updates, or recent posts to the thread. Other users (than the original thread starter) may also award "This helped me", but it won't normally cause the yellow border or the awarding of points.

tt2

Sep 24, 2015 11:14 AM in response to Niku

Niku wrote:

I don't understand how the awards: "This helped me, and "This solved my question" are awarded. I keep seeing these comments even though I had not made them. Anyway, although you were awarded the latter without my help, I thought I should say that this award was correct in your case. You did solve the problem. The information you supplied was conclusive. Thank you. Now if I can just get this site to stop making awards in my name without any input from me, I'll have to find something else to gripe about.

Are you saying that you DID NOT Choose the Acclaim Awards?

User uploaded file

If YES

• Are you using ASC on your iMac?
  • What OS X?
  • What Browser & version?

If NO

Then you either accidentally chose the first Acclaim (Solved? I think) - or did so on purpose - this could be EASY to do if you have a TrackPad set for MouseClicking*

*I have a trackpad and my thumb is Constantly registering a mouseclick with the slightest Tap of my dangling thumb as I type - thus inserting the text cursor where I Do NOT want it = same user error as would click an Acclaim.

As tt2 said:

As the original poster you are limited to awarding two helpfuls and one solved. The forum software can be quirky from time to time, for example not updating to show that the awards have been given, particularly solved which nearly always requires a refresh when it shouldn't, or sometimes not displaying the updates, or recent posts to the thread. Other users (than the original thread starter) may also award "This helped me", but it won't normally cause the yellow border or the awarding of points.

The Acclaim tools change (sometimes subtly) as the Original Poster chooses them

After "This helped me" on THAT particular postUser uploaded file

After "This solved my question" - ALL posts look like this User uploaded file and THAT post looks like User uploaded file

After the 2nd "This helped me" is awarded - ALL posts look like this User uploaded file

Sep 24, 2015 11:28 AM in response to ChitlinsCC

The number in brackets is the number of people who have found a given post helpful, (or have the same question as the original poster). Clicking the number shows who has clicked that option. Both the OP and other users can click "This helped me" which remains an active link for each user unless used twice. Previously there was a "Like" link which served a similar function, but didn't have the same limitation.

tt2

Sep 24, 2015 11:44 AM in response to turingtest2

Thanks for the information. What you've mentioned is enough for me to stop worrying about this subject. I have received complaints in the past because I didn't make any awards, and I have sometimes been unable to make awards, I figured that I was probably at fault, and I probably was, in most cases, but now a new element has been added. I'm just not going to spend any more time on this. Thanks for relieving me of some of the burden.

iMac i5 3.2 27-inch (late 2013) ports/manual

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.