Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

USB midi no longer working in iOS 9

For the past several years, I have created music on the iPad with a variety of apps (GarageBand and SampleTank, mainly) using the camera connector kit to use a Yamaha USB midi cable to connect my keyboard to my iPad. The setup worked flawlessly until iOS 9. I understand there has been a change in the Core Midi interface of the OS, and I assume this is the culprit. My setup no longer works with either app. My husband's iPad is still running 8.4 - I downloaded GarageBand on that and low and behold, the cable works as intended. He needs his iPad for work, and I need mine for my work. I am a musician and a playwright, and my livelihood depends on these accesories working properly. Can someone please help me figure out how to make this work? Or Apple, will you please change core midi back?? Thank you.

iPad 2 Wi-Fi, iOS 9

Posted on Sep 22, 2015 1:32 PM

4 replies

Sep 23, 2015 7:07 PM in response to JacobMills

I also use a midi keyboard & connect it to my iPads (iPad 2 & iPad Air 2) to make music. I use the camera connection kits and this cable:

http://www.amazon.ca/M-Audio-Midisport-Uno-MIDI-Interface/dp/B00007JRBM

Thankfully both my iPads still recognize my keyboard after the iOS 9 update. Perhaps you just need to change the cable?

Before getting a new cable, maybe try a General Reset of your iPad to see if that fixes the problem

Settings->General->Reset->Reset All Settings,

YOu won't lose any data but will have to customize certain settings again & also log back into your wifi network(s)

Sep 24, 2015 3:04 PM in response to jazcan

My cable is similar to yours, but it is the Yamaha brand. The cable is still functional and I have used it on another iPad still running iOS 8.41 to verify this last night. It functioned perfectly well on my iPad 2 until iOS 9. That is literally the only difference. I have reset the device in a variety of ways to no avail. I am completely perplexed. The camera connector kit still works also (I thought maybe that went out) but it still is functioning normally as well.

Nov 15, 2015 9:31 AM in response to JacobMills

Problem solved for me: I have bought a new USB-MIDI cable. Went to the shop and tried some non-original cable with my iPhone with IOS9.1 (it later worked with the iPad too). I tried it with one of the instruments in the shop: works. So the original Yamaha UX16 was noo longer working with iOS9.1 and now some "MConnect ARTcessories" cable does, but better go to the shop and check which one works with your iPad or iPhone. Hope this helps.

USB midi no longer working in iOS 9

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.