Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why does my iPad 2 Safari crash after IOS9 update

Safari is constantly crashing after I updated my iPad 2 with ISO 9 what the heck is going on.

iPad 2, iOS 9

Posted on Sep 22, 2015 2:19 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 7, 2015 8:08 AM

Mine is doing this as well, went in to visit the Genius bar and in short after trying a bunch of things, he told me that IOS 9 was not made to run on the older IPADs and that the ipad is running out of RAM so Safari will just keep shutting down when it runs out. He said is 5 years old and obsolete. and I should trade it in and get a new one. I think this is ridiculous, it worked fine before the update. I feel like Apple is purposing developed an update that won't work on older models to force people to buy new devices. Shame on apple!

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 7, 2015 8:08 AM in response to Kimvachon

Mine is doing this as well, went in to visit the Genius bar and in short after trying a bunch of things, he told me that IOS 9 was not made to run on the older IPADs and that the ipad is running out of RAM so Safari will just keep shutting down when it runs out. He said is 5 years old and obsolete. and I should trade it in and get a new one. I think this is ridiculous, it worked fine before the update. I feel like Apple is purposing developed an update that won't work on older models to force people to buy new devices. Shame on apple!

Oct 17, 2015 7:11 AM in response to Kimvachon

I Am having the same issues, iPad safari always crashed a lot, mostly when trying to zoom in. However now with IOS 9 it constantly crashes, then will even get into a mode where it crashes, then reloads and crashes again and again... i also found hitting the shift and ! Key as the first item in web text field just gives the , symbol, tried locking and just selecting shift. Also in web search bar, i can not get first letter to display as a capital letter... Very annoying, but the constant crashing of safari is a reall issue.. I wonder if they are going to fix it or are really trying to render our working moderately older hardware useless.. Ugg I like to think not, because i can not afford to buy a new one right now, but if true i don't see myself sticking with apple When i can afford something newer... Is there anywhere we can go to see if they are working on the problem?

Nov 20, 2015 6:07 AM in response to Kimvachon

I have an iPad 2 that I purchased in 2011 and was working like a charm on iOS 7 until about a month ago. I use it for everything, from browsing, to FB to watching TV. I chose not to upgrade to iOS 8 since that iOS showed poor performane on my iPhone.

I made the mistake to upgrade my iPad 2 to iOS 9 about a month ago, and basically it became useless. Every application that I run/open crashes after a few minutes. Basically the iPad, which was working perfectly for ~5 yrs, became obsolete in one click: 'Please upgrade to iOS 9' the message said. And the only reason why I upgraded to the 'latest' iOS is because it is clearly stated on Apple's site that the 'latest' iOS supports the iPad 2 generation.

Dear Apple, as our planet continiues to struggle with an unprecedented amount of e-waste, which is causing climate change, I find it unacceptable that on one hand you design software to obsolete devices (and therefore generate e-waste) and on the other hand you promote, under Apple Environmental Values, the fact that you "don't want to debate climate change, but you want to stop it". This is what is called greenwashing.

I understand the company is driven by creating value for its shareholders, but this shouldn't happen on the back of our depleted planet. That's simply unacceptable.

You should have announced that iOS 9 is not compatible with iPad 2. I would've happily kept the iPad 2 and used It. Now, not only I'm unable to use it, but you lost a customer on top of it since I won't purchase another iPad device.

Forcing consumers to purchase new devices, simply by turning them useless following an upgrade might be smart, but it in not sustainable.

/Unhappy & disappointed customer

Jan 8, 2016 1:17 PM in response to joe.bat

I Agree completely!, I told everyone who was interested in my opinion what a wonderful product the IPad 2 was. NO LONGER! i now attempting to run Safari 9.2 and I have had problems with crashes and slow keyboard response with update since 8. Now when I want to use a computer with some efficiency and without frustration, I use our laptop with Windows 10. i can't believe Steve Jobs would happy.

Jan 8, 2016 7:41 PM in response to joe.bat

Peoples,
The amount of users reporting into these forums with iOS 9 issues with their iPad 2 models represents a very small, but growing minority.
There are tens of millions (or more) of iDevice users who aren't having issues with their devices and who don't post in user troubleshooting forums, like those provided by Apple.
Just because the small minority of users having issues, that post here, doesn't mean that Apple is at fault or that Apple is forcing users of older hardware to upgrade to newer hardware or Apple is "out to get your money" for a new device!
It just means that some older hardware has had some arbitrary issue that has caused problems with upgrading to new versions of iOS.
OR there was some unforeseen iOS bug or software glitch or anomaly that has affected a small minority of users devices.
This has always been a common issue across all major iOS AND OS X upgrades/updates.
It a pervasive issue when dealing with OS upgrades/updates with so many users with so many different configurations.
WIth an ever growing iDevice user base, there will be users that will, invariably and inevitably, run into problems.
Yes, it is a small consolation for those who have iDevices that either aren't working properly or not at all, but the issues ARE NOT RAMPANT across the entire user base of iOS devices!
Apple can't test for every device configuration contingency.
Everyone uses these devices differently and have different apps and data on them and older devices cannot use some features of a new iOS upgrade due to older hardware limitations.
There are just too many variables that are out of Apple's control and can't be tested or accounted for.
The retort from those having these issues is that " Apple controls the hardware and software".
That is true for their hardware and their own software, but they do not fully control third party developed software and how those apps interact with the iPad hardware and iOS and if those apps could have any effect on iOS upgrades/updates.
For those iDevice users who have devices that are, basically, non-functional or dead, my recommendation is to bring your iDevice into an Apple Store and see if they can diagnose the issues and perform the upgrade in the store for you.
If you have never backed up the data that is on your iDevice, be prepared for Apple to do a restore as new device and try to install the iOS 9 upgrade on an empty iDevice.
If you want Apple to REALLY hear all of your issues and complaints the only way to do this is to post your feedback here.
http://www.apple.com/feedback/ipad.html
Apple DOES read the feedback, but they still do not respond with any personal replies.

Jan 8, 2016 7:44 PM in response to Kimvachon

To All,

I have upgraded three iPad 2 models, my iPad 3 and a friend's iPad 4 to iOS 9 and all are running very well on iOS 9.2.

Try resetting All Settings found in the Settings App under General and in the right column under Reset.
Try resetting histories and deleting/resetting caches in all of the web browsers you use.
If you use Safari, these functions maybe in the Settings App under Safari.
Other web browsers have their settings inside of the running app, itself.
If your iPad has been activated for iCloud, in the Settings App under iCloud, to the right, under iCloud Drive, tap iCloud Drive and make sure Safari is turned off for saving Safari data to iCloud Drive.
Also, under iCloud in the Settings App, in iCloud Drive, disable the saving feature for any other apps that you DO NOT want data being saved automatically to iCloud Drive.
If using Safari is still causing issues,
Try changing/using another, different third party web browser.
I don't use iOS Safari too much any longer because I found it causing me some headaches on certain websites I, regularly, visit.
I commonly use another third party web browser, Perfect Web Browser (there are others that may suit your web browsing style better, so look at all of them first to see which third party browser may work better for you) and I never experience a lot of the issues that Safari was causing.
In the Settings App under the General tab, to the right under Spotlight sesrch, try disabling the search under apps that really do not need a search, like some games, remotes, apps that really do not need to be searched, etc., to reduce the list for Spotlight to search.
Try turning on Reduced Motion.
This is found in the Settings App in the General tab the left panel.
In the right panel look under Accessibility, the look for Reduce Motion and turn this feature "On".
You should see an appreciable performance increase on all iPad 2, 3 and 4 models.
In the Settings App under the General Tab, in the right column, look for Background App Refresh and turn this setting to "off".
Try a reset of your iPad by holding down both the Home and sleep/wake buttons simultaneously until your iPad goes to black and restarts with Apple logo, then release the buttons.
Good Luck!

Jan 8, 2016 7:49 PM in response to Gavioton

To All,

If not all of my previous suggested fixes work for your iPad 2,

Here is my own restore procedure that has already worked, sucessfully, for several iPad 2/3 users, so far!

I have done this and my iPad 2 and 3 are working like new, " out of the box" units!

This procedure DOES NOT revert your currently installed iOS 9 version!

First, connect your iPad to USB and sync and backup your iPad to iTunes (make sure your iTunes is up to date).

Then disconnect/eject your iPad from the computer.

From just the iPad, in the Settings App under the General setting, look in the right column for Reset option, then erase and reset your iPad to completely erase your iPad and then, again, from the iPad, set it up as a new iPad setup to factory "out of the box" operation.

Then reconnect your iPad to the computer and make sure to cancel the syncing, by tapping the small X to the left in the top center iTunes display box.

iTunes should detect your iPad. If iTunes begins to try and sync, again, cancel the sync.

Select Restore from Backup instead and pick your last backup to restore back to your iPad.

Once the restore is complete, finish setting up the iPad and let it sync back to iTunes you can either cancel the sync, again or let it backup, again.

Then disconnect the iPad.

Do one hard reset of your iPad by holding down both the Home and sleep/wake buttons simultaneously until your iPad goes to black and restarts with Apple logo, then release the buttons.

Once your iPad is back to the Home screen,

In the Settings App under the General tab, to the right under Spotlight sesrch, try disabling the search under apps that really do not need a search, like some games, remotes, apps that really do not need to be searched, etc., to reduce the list for Spotlight to search.

Try turning on Reduced Motion.

This is found in the Settings App in the General tab the left panel.

In the right panel look under Accessibility, the look for Reduce Motion and turn this feature "On".

You should see an appreciable performance increase on all iPad 2, 3 and 4 models.

In the Settings App under the General Tab, in the right column, look for Background App Refresh and turn this setting to "off".

If you purchased any music from iTunes, you will need to redownload that content back to your iPad for playing directly from your iPad and not from Apple Music servers.

Also, if your iPad contained a lot of images in the Photos app, these will take time to regenerate the original AND thumbnail images themselves inside of the Photos app when you first launch it.

Good Luck to All!

Why does my iPad 2 Safari crash after IOS9 update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.