Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS 9 Mail Global Address List Problem

I've just upgrades an iPhone 6 and an iPad mini 2 to iOS 9. Both are now unable to access my Exchange server's global address list (GAL) for emails or meeting invites. Does anyone know how to fix this problem?

The same account GAL works fine on an older iPhone 5c running 8.4.

iPhone 6, iOS 9

Posted on Sep 22, 2015 2:30 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 23, 2015 1:51 PM

I ran into this, too. It appears with iOS 9 you will need to also enable "contact" syncing for it to be able to search the GAL. I have not found an official source for this change, just some basic testing.

6 replies

Nov 11, 2015 9:42 AM in response to RichieB-40

This is the same problem I'm having with an iPad running IOS 9.1

I have configured the Mail application with a corporate Microsoft Exchange account and mail, contacts, calendars, reminders, notes all set to sync to iPad. When I go to the mail inbox and create a new message, I click on the + symbol in the top right corner of the new mail message to add a recipient, click on Groups at the top left of the All Contacts list then select Exchange Global Address List at the bottom of the Groups box and it presents me with a blank box saying "No Contacts" in the middle.

It's at this point where I would expect to see the contents of my corporate Global Address List.

It will find entries in the Global Address List if I search for a specific name or if I start typing say the name John, it will display all the names starting with John in the Global Address List.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thank you.

Nov 28, 2015 5:43 AM in response to Peeliewally

What you're describing sounds like expected behavior. It does not show any entries until you perform a search. My assumption is that this this done to minimize data usage and strain on the Exchange server you're connecting to.

You do not need to tap the + sign to search for contacts (even from the GAL). If you simply start typing the person's name, the Mail app will begin searching for your recipient from your contacts and the GAL.

iOS 9 Mail Global Address List Problem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.