Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Search function in Mail not working

Hi,

The search function in Mail (Yosemite) is flakey. Usually it finds nothing. After a reboot it finds only email adresses associated wit the search but rarely will it let me search only "subject" or "title", rather it only gives email adresses as results. Any suggestions?

Thank you

Brian

Posted on Sep 23, 2015 2:09 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 24, 2015 2:05 AM

Try re-indexing Spotlight.

Spotlight – Re-index

11 replies

Oct 10, 2015 2:40 AM in response to Eric Root

I have upgraded to El Capitan and now the search function is not working in Mail.

I've re-built the mailboxes

I've deleted the Envelope Index files in Library and re-started mail - no luck

I've tried to re-index Spotlight by adding a folder to the Privacy section but I can't do it as every time I try I get the same error message "Privacy List Error: The item couldn't be added or removed because of an unknown error."

How do I get round that?

Oct 19, 2015 3:05 AM in response to Eric Root

Thanks again for your help.

I have solved my problem and I think it was caused by third party software.

I had two bundles enabled in my Mail in Library/Mail/Bundles; they were MailTags and Herald, both supposedly El Capitan compatible.

I removed both, kept all folders checked in Spotlight preferences in System Preferences, tried a Spotlight search and hey presto Spotlight began to index properly and everything is back to normal in Mail.

I've re-installed Herald and everything still works properly. I haven't re-installed MailTags.

Having removed both at the same time I can't be 100% sure it was MailTags that was causing the problem, but I strongly suspect it was.

Search function in Mail not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.