Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Haven't been able to log into Messages for 6 months

I made the mistake of turning on 2-factor ID for my Mac products, and I haven't been able to log onto Messages on my iMac with Yosemite 10.10.5 since.

First, I am asked to sign in.

User uploaded file

OK, now I have input my iCloud password....but because I have two-factor turned on, I get this prompt:

User uploaded file

Fine. I use my phone, and get a code, which I type in. Now I'm in my iCloud account, and all is good.

Except....

User uploaded file

I'm in iCloud, I've been verified, but Messages still isn't satisfied. It wants me to 'create' another app-specific password. But if I click on 'create' I'm taken right back to my signed-in, verified iCloud account.

I do this 3-4 times in a row, and Messages still isn't working. Finally I get frustrated and select 'Skip Setup',

User uploaded file

and then my account becomes entirely greyed out and listed as 'Inactive'.

User uploaded file

I've been locked out of messages for 6 months now, and every once in a while I check back, usually after an update, to find myself still locked out. It's exasperating. Any ideas? I've seen the idea about correcting the time and date, but my time and date are correct already.

Posted on Sep 23, 2015 8:29 AM

3 replies

Sep 23, 2015 2:11 PM in response to FedUpWithApplePasswords

Hi,

I am not sure why you did not do that on the Mac.

It now reads like Messages on the iPhone is the App allowed.

User uploaded file

10:11 p.m. Wednesday; September 23, 2015

 iMac 2.5Ghz i5 2011 (Mavericks 10.9)
 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 Couple of iPhones and an iPad

Sep 24, 2015 2:18 AM in response to Ralph-Johns-UK

Thanks for your input, guys. OK, for other people who have this problem, you need to:

Go to Passwords and Security.

Now go to "Generate an App Specific Password."

Copy this password, which should have about 16 digits.

Now go back to the Messages app, and when it asks for your password, don't give them your usual iCloud password. Instead, paste in the one you just copied.

Messages should work now.

Haven't been able to log into Messages for 6 months

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.