Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

my iphone 4s doesnt have any sounds other than my ring tone. how do i fix this?

my iphone 4s has stopped making any sounds at all other than when it rings. i can still talk on a voice call but i have no text message alerts, no notification alert tones, no volume on videos, no volume on facebook, no keyboard clicks, nothing other than when it just rings on a voice call. i have restored the phone and that didnt work either. how do i go about fixing this issue? my phone is not under warranty and i cannot afford to buy a new iphone at this time.

iPhone 4S, iOS 9.0.1

Posted on Sep 23, 2015 11:49 AM

1 reply

Sep 24, 2015 11:54 AM in response to stacyjolley

Hello stacyjolley,

If you can't hear any of the sounds on your iPhone except incoming calls, try the troubleshooting steps in the resource below.
If you hear no sound or distorted sound from your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch speaker - Apple Support
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203794

Follow these steps and test the sound after each one.

1. Go to Settings > Sounds and drag the Ringer And Alerts slider to turn the volume up.
  2. If you can hear sound from the speaker, then the speaker works. Continue with these steps to find the setting or switch that's affecting the sound. If you can't hear sound from the speaker, contact Apple Support.
  3. If your device has a Ring/Silent switch, make sure it's set to ring. If you can see orange, it's set to silent.
    User uploaded file
  4. Restart your device.
  5. Open an app that has music or sound effects. Adjust the volume with the volume buttons or the slider in Control Center.
  6. Go to Settings > Bluetooth and turn off Bluetooth.
  7. If there's still no sound, connect a headset. If you can hear sound through the headset, remove it and clear any dust or debris from the headset jack of your device.
  8. If the device is in a case, make sure that the case doesn't block the speaker.
  9. Use a brush to gently clear any debris from the speaker and Lightning connector (or 30-pin dock connector). The brush should be clean and dry and have soft bristles.
  10. Update your device to the latest version of iOS.

If you follow these steps and still hear no sound or distorted sound, contact us.

Last Modified: Jun 19, 2015

Take care,

my iphone 4s doesnt have any sounds other than my ring tone. how do i fix this?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.