Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

idvd on my mac

I just purchased a new iMac 20.5 computer . I upgraded to fusion drive got 16 gb of ram , I had apple do data migration from old iMac to new . I had everything transferred . to the new mac . I was excited to start using idvd to make some dvds for family of our trips ( we cruise a lot) that they can watch on tv .

now i try to make my first project and none of my new photos or photos from iPhoto are showing under photo in idvd.

i read here its not compatible with the new operating system . Why the heck have it on the computer if you cannot see the photos . I am really ticked

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.5)

Posted on Sep 23, 2015 1:07 PM

15 replies

Sep 23, 2015 1:48 PM in response to dockyard

iDVD, being dead and unsupported for over 3 years, is not compatible with the new Photos library. So now we must export the photos we want to use in the iDVD project to a folder on the hard drive and import them from there into the iDVD project by dragging and dropping,

. Why the heck have it on the computer if you cannot see the photos. I am really ticked.

You'll notice it's not offered any more by Apple. And why to have it on the computer? Even with it's import shortcoming it still, far and away, the best video DVD authoring application for the Mac. So much so that I have a bootable external hard drive with Mavericks setup to run iDVD, iMovie 6 HD and other oldies but goodies when I need to.

You don't have to keep iDVD on your computer. There a a number of video DVD authoring apps available from the App Store and some are free with more full featured versions available for purchase.

User uploaded file

Sep 23, 2015 2:28 PM in response to dockyard

In the Photos library. Select the images you want to use and go to the File ➙ Export X Photos menu option:

User uploaded file

First create a folder on the Desktop and then export the photos into that folder. Drag the image files from that folder into the open iDVD project window. Also do not move or delete that folder until the iDVD project is completed and burned to disk or saved as a disk image.

Follow this workflow to help assure the best qualty video DVD:

Once you have the project as you want it save it as a disk image via the File ➙ Save as Disk Image menu option. This will separate the encoding process from the burn process.

To check the encoding mount the disk image, launch DVD Player and play it. If it plays OK with DVD Player the encoding is good.

Then burn to disk with Disk Utility or Toast at the slowest speed available (2x-4x) to assure the best burn quality. Always use top quality media: Verbatim, Maxell or Taiyo Yuden DVD-R are the most recommended in these forums.

Sep 24, 2015 8:30 AM in response to dockyard

You can set the play time for each slide to up to 59 seconds (in square box) or, depending on the number of slides set the total play time to the max (in oval),

User uploaded file

The screenshot above is for a slideshow of 641 images, thus 344 minutes. For a slideshow of 57 images the max play time was 57 minutes. Setting the max time would be much easier than having to set each slide individually to the 59 seconds.

Sep 24, 2015 12:30 PM in response to dockyard

If you use iDVD to create the slideshows from still image files that you've exported out of the Photos library and import into iDVD you can set the slideshow to manual as long as no music has been selected to play:

User uploaded file

You can also drag the folder you use to export from Photos to into the iDVD/Media/Photos window so it will always be there to access the photos for the slideshow:

User uploaded file

idvd on my mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.