Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 6 screen unresponsive after 9.0.1 update!

I recently updated to ios 9.0.1 and now my screen is unresponsive!

iPhone 6, iOS 9

Posted on Sep 23, 2015 8:43 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 26, 2015 8:53 AM

Same issue (although 6 Plus).

Turning Siri off fixed this for me.

25 replies

Sep 28, 2015 9:13 AM in response to snoopySaturn

So far I 've done 3 restores, to IOS 9 IOS 8.4.1 and back to IOS 9.0.1, and it works fine until i answer a call..... after that the screen goes unresponsive again.

I even configure my iphone as a new one and the same issue was there, i cant explain what is going around this, but befor IOS 9.0.1 everything was ok for me.

Sep 28, 2015 11:23 AM in response to FaMcH

This issue is part of the systematic set of problems called "Death by a thousand cuts." It's the combination of little things that contribute to a less-than-stellar iPhone experience, one that, unless you're a part-time hardware engineer at Apple, you will never be able to properly describe and diagnose, and the "fix" will always be to "Reset the phone."

I am currently experiencing an issue in my iPhone 6 Plus running iOS 9.0.1 (since the latest versions of 8.0) is always a step behind me. I cannot recall using the terms "snappy and smooth" to describe my phone. A lot of animations stutter, I have to consciously tell myself to wait an extra half-second for every button press because, quite simply, the phone "isn't ready." If I press too quickly, the input is ignored. Other times, I press and a half-second later it decides to respond. Sometimes it will queue up your button presses, stay unresponsive for a few seconds, and then suddenly spring to life, carrying out the three or five button presses you had put in while it was "taking a nap."

Swipes between home screens stutter (I always thought that was an Android thing). Swiping from the top down or from left to right always takes an extra second or two. And that doesn't include all the times the screen simply ignores any input.

And then I do a hard reset, everything is normal for a bit, but then the "cuts" return.

Can't put a finger on it. Hard to describe, right? It just doesn't work as smoothly as you're led to believe. But you know something is wrong.

Often times, even though you're a victim you'll be called out for simply wanting to use the many features that you should be able to use on a phone that's not more than a year old. For example, "Well, turn off iCloud Photo Sharing. That hogs a lot of background resources. Well, turn off Background App Refresh." This reminds me of The Onion article in which the FAA, in trying to combat hijackings and terrorisms, was going to ban all passengers from flying. Which is to say, it seems that the best remedy for these maladies is to "Turn off your iPhone. You won't experience any issues if you do that!"

I am going to walk into an Apple Store today, showcase my lagging iPhone 6 Plus running 9.0.1. The Apple Store employee will magically perform a hard reset, then hand me back my now-super-fast, "fixed" iPhone, which will then devolve back to its catatonic state the minute I walk back out.

"Well, if you upgrade to the 6S it'll be faster than that slow 6 you have. That's, like, a year old."

Sep 30, 2015 5:08 AM in response to Basedlatham

I also updated to 9.0.1 and it worked fine for a few days. Then, screen became unresponsive. I had to keep doing a hard reboot until I could get the screen to respond. Sometimes it took 30 to 50 reboots just to get the screen to respond (and it only worked long enough to make a call). Text messages and incoming calls still appeared on screen. Then took it to the Apple Store and they told me a Factory Restore would fix everything. I did the Factory Restore and two days later my screen is unresponsive again. I'll select one app and a different one opens. I select one number and another number appears on the screen. I can't keep doing these Factory Restores!!!! Is IOS 9.0.1 a beta?

Sep 30, 2015 6:00 AM in response to PatrickL

Hey there PatrickL...everything you said is what I have been experiencing as well. I have the iPhone 6Plus and since we are not used to having anything to the right when swiping, there has developed a lag between all screens. I noticed that when I open Settings, you don't even see Airplane Mode. You have to pull down to see that option and the search option. (This also happens when you open your email...you don't see the search option.) Oh and another one that showed up is really crazy. When I am typing a message, I have noticed that after I send it, the record bubble automatically appears in the text box. Hmmm, how did it get there??? I didn't hit the record message button??? You go to the next message and it's there as well. The only way to get rid of it is to double tap the home button, close it out and then go back. The bubble is gone. (See image below...sorry for it being so huge)

User uploaded file

The only other time that I really noticed that one of the iOS updates wasn't so good was either 7 or 8. I had the iPhone 5 at that time. Here's hoping that they will read our messages and fix a few more things. Have a good one.

iPhone 6 screen unresponsive after 9.0.1 update!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.