Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

NVMe Protocol and MacPro5,1

OSX 10.10.3 adds protocol support for the NVMe.

I know I can run the Samsung SM951 which uses the older ACHI protocol

but can I now run the new Samsung 950 Pro M.2 SSD on a MacPro5,1?

OS X Yosemite (10.10.3), MacPro5,1

Posted on Sep 24, 2015 12:50 AM

16 replies

Sep 24, 2015 1:45 AM in response to Cliff+++

If you can get a suitable adapter I would say the answer would be yes. However so far the adapters I have seen are only 4 PCIe lanes and as such do not have enough bandwidth to allow the full potential read speed of the SM951. As such you may see little or no improvement over a SM950.

You would need an 8 lane adapter and to fit it in slot 2 to fully exploit the potential of an SM951. So far I have not seen any 8 lane adapters.

I would tend to expect such adapter will become available but have no idea when. This after all is the very first product that can exceed the abilities of the current 4 lane adapters.

Sep 24, 2015 1:57 AM in response to John Lockwood

http://barefeats.com/hard200.html

One can get 1510 mb/sec read and write with the Samsung's SM951 when used with a $20 adapter on a MacPro 2010. However, the SM951 is an OEM model and doesn't come with a warranty unlike the new Samsung 950 Pro M.2 SSD which has a 5 year warranty. The wrinkle is that the new Samsung 950 Pro M.2 SSD ,which will be released on October 15, requires NVM express support. If i t works I'm not sure whether it would take advantage of its faster read speed and run faster.

Sep 24, 2015 7:01 AM in response to Cliff+++

Sorry yes I was getting the 951 and the new 950 Pro M.2 confused. The 951 can be fully exploited speed wise by the current adapters, the new 950 Pro M.2 cannot as it has a theoretical read speed of ~2500MB/s and this significantly exceeds the capability of current 4 lane adapters. As I mentioned you will need an 8 lane adapter and to use slot 2 to get the full benefits of a 950 Pro M.2 and such adapters do not seem to exist as yet.

Sep 24, 2015 3:49 AM in response to John Lockwood

Of course, it still pays to get the new 950 as it will be faster and cheaper than the SM951 and it carriesa warranty. It's insane that an SSD can simply consume an entire PCIe bus speed. What is the maximum bandwidth on the PCIe 2.0 4x bus? The whole thing confuses me - Is it 500 mb/sec per lane?

It really blows my mind how logarithmically faster storage speed has gone from the ATA hard drives. I wonder if it ever get simply ridiculous for even the power users.

Sep 25, 2015 7:52 AM in response to Cliff+++

Cliff+++ wrote:

It really blows my mind how logarithmically faster storage speed has gone from the ATA hard drives. I wonder if it ever get simply ridiculous for even the power users.

I can remember when the Macintosh ][ fx came out and for a handful of seconds that did seem fast enough even to impress me. However I personally find that no matter how fast they get they never are fast enough for me in that I still always end up waiting for operations to complete.

Oct 8, 2015 4:20 PM in response to Cliff+++

I not only won't work as a boot drive, the Samsung SM951 512GB NVMe M.2 PCIe 3.0 x4 80mm SSD - OEM won't even mount in my 2010 Mac Pro tower using the Lycom M.2 PCIe SSD to PCIe 3.0 x4 adapter. The Samsung SM951 512GB AHCI M.2 PCIe 3.0 x4 80mm SSD - OEM will both mount and will boot OS X. Has anyone been able to get it to mount using any other adapter -- even if it won't boot?

Oct 8, 2015 8:13 PM in response to MadMacScientist

I decided that NVME was not important so I went and bought the SM951 AHCI version - runs well on the same Lycom adapter you bought - around 1400mb/sec. Perhaps it runs a little hot as it gets up to 160+ Farenheit according to the PCIe sensor. Anyone think I should add a heat sink?

Perhaps, you can exchange your NVME version for the AHCI version. Strangely, my system report indicates that it is possible to run an NVME device so perhaps you need a different adapter that is NVME capable = the whole matter perplexes me - there is someone at MacRumors.com forum who is trying to create the code to modify the bios of the MacPro5,1.

User uploaded file

Oct 8, 2015 8:52 PM in response to Cliff+++

Funny you should mention heat. I ran a stress test using BlackMagic Disk Speed Test. Within 5 minutes the SM951's sensor reported 174F. The recommended max operating temp is 158F. Adding a heatsink kept it at 145F or below even after 30 miin of running the stess test.

BPlus makes an adapter with a heatsink. I know of one other company that is developing one. I will post the details here when it is available.

Nov 29, 2015 11:20 AM in response to William-Richards

I tried Samsung SSD 950 PRO 512MB with an adapter on MacPro5,1 (Mac Pro 2010) yesterday, but it did not work.

After Mac's booting sound, the screen became white, but Apple logo never came.

It works on Windows 10 Pro PC flawlessly.

According to http://barefeats.com/hard210.html

"OS X does not support external, third party NVMe flash blades."

I hope that Apple would make OS X support external 3rd party NVMe drives such as Samsung SSD 950 PRO.

NVMe Protocol and MacPro5,1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.