Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

IOS 9 Cellular data usage restrictions don't work!! https://discussions.apple.com/message/28960476?ac_cid=tw123456

Anyone over here experiencing the same problem?

After updating to iOS 9, my issue is with the cellular data app toggle switches. For example, when a user turns a switch "on"from an "off" position, the setting is not respected by the system. The switch will appear to change to "on", but if you try to use the affected app, it won't permit cellular data to go through. Then, if you go back and check the cellular data app switches in the Settings app, you can see that the switch has reverted back to its previous position, in this case "off".

Re: IOS 9 Cellular Data Usage Restrictions not working

iPhone 5s, iOS 9.0.1, Model ME432NF/A

Posted on Sep 24, 2015 2:54 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 24, 2015 6:25 AM

I have the same problem with my iPhone 6. Per Apple Care the Apple engineers are working on a fix, having started on Tuesday.

Warning - a tech suggested the workaround of an iTunes back up followed by a complete system restore after re-downloading IOS 9. Two hours of that effort was not successful.

The bug in IOS 9 is if a data toggle switch was off at the time of the IOS 9 download, the switch can not thereafter be turned on. As you wrote: "The switch will appear to change to "on", but if you try to use the affected app, it won't permit cellular data to go through. Then, if you go back and check the cellular data app switches in the Settings app, you can see that the switch has reverted back to its previous position, in this case "off"."

17 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 24, 2015 6:25 AM in response to Dannitos73

I have the same problem with my iPhone 6. Per Apple Care the Apple engineers are working on a fix, having started on Tuesday.

Warning - a tech suggested the workaround of an iTunes back up followed by a complete system restore after re-downloading IOS 9. Two hours of that effort was not successful.

The bug in IOS 9 is if a data toggle switch was off at the time of the IOS 9 download, the switch can not thereafter be turned on. As you wrote: "The switch will appear to change to "on", but if you try to use the affected app, it won't permit cellular data to go through. Then, if you go back and check the cellular data app switches in the Settings app, you can see that the switch has reverted back to its previous position, in this case "off"."

Sep 26, 2015 5:13 AM in response to Dannitos73

I found this when my daughter's toggle switches stopped working on her iPhone 5s. I'm going to try it on my iPhone 6plus and see if it works! Let me know if it works for you.

I have this question too(173)

Reply Helpfulby nuno.bett on Apr 3, 2014 6:28 AM

Found a solution for this problem that does not require RESETTING ANY IF YOUR SETTINGS, NEITHER JAILBREAKING the device.

I know that this envolve a lot of steps, so be patient.

In the end, it worked out fine for me and I didn't need to reset my iphone to factory settings. I would be pleased to know if this helped anyone else. Please spread the word.

For this, you'll need:

Steps:
  1. Disable Find My Phone in Phone icloud settings
  2. Disable iPhone Passcode
  3. Make a complete iOS backup using itunes

make sure NOT TO ENCRYPT the backup, otherwise iBackupBot can not use it.

4. Open up iBackupBot
  5. Navigate to your newest backup on the left top space
  6. Go through the file hierarchy until you reach

WirelessDomain/Library/Databases/

7. Export CellularUsage.db file to your computer by right clicking the file and selecting "Export Selected Item"
  8. Open up this file using SQLiteStudio
  9. Expand tables and double click TABLE bundle_info
  10. On the right window select Data separator
  11. Change all the values of COLUMN flags to desired value (0 or 1)
    1. 0 (zero) for disabling cellular data
    2. 1 (one) for enabling cellular data
    3. NOTE: in some lines you probably have another number (2) and that's the reason why iOS won't save your toggle option
  12. After changing the flags apply changes by clicking the check orange button on top of the table
  13. Go to menu Databases and choose Disconnect
  14. Quit SQLiteStudio
  15. Head over to iBackupBot
  16. Import the CellularUsage.db file you changed to the active windows

note: iBackupBot may say the folder does not exist, just press yes for it to create it

17. Right click CellularUsage.db file and select "Restore Selected items to device"
  18. When message Restore Complete appears, click OK and remove usb cable (so that itunes does not pick it up once it boots)
  19. Wait for iphone to boot
  20. Activate Passcode (optional)
  21. Activate Find My Phone (optional)
  22. Activate iCloud Keychain (optional)
  23. Make a new iTunes backup

you can choose a password to Encrypt iPhone Backup

24. The END. All the apps in the cellular usage should be turned off and you can continue to use these app normally

Feel free to post any opinions, questions and if it worked for you.

Best regards,

Nuno Bettencourt

Message was edited by: nuno.bett

See the answer in context

Sep 26, 2015 1:45 PM in response to Graceee0225

no it gos on. even i talked with the support team. i have done what they told me, it took 3 hours but no. nothing changed. i am waiting for apple engineers to fix it and declare a new update. but meanwhile it was my daughter's phone and i was planing to buy an iphone when mine got old but from now on i will go on again with android. i hated updates

IOS 9 Cellular data usage restrictions don't work!! https://discussions.apple.com/message/28960476?ac_cid=tw123456

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.