Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

bad offline quality of optimized picture in photos

i Use optimized storage om my I pad/Iphone.

When I am without WiFi or Newtwork connection, I like to see my stored Pictures in the optimized version. But the Fullscreen Picture is so bad that I almost can't recognize the Picture. But it seems that the Little thumbnailhas a better Resolution than the optimized Fullscreen Picture. Can this be possible?

Here what I tested:

1. I open a photos in Offline mode to see it in Fullscreen. What I get is a very poor pixel picture where I can almost not recognzie what it is.

2. I zoom a little thumbnail picture to the fullscreen size (until it stays in fullscreen).What I get is a clearly visible Picture. Enough in quality for offline watching.

3. This is a example for the online fullresolution Picture

is this just a softwarebug? Or any ideahow to solve this?

I like to whatch my Picture by swapping from one to the other. zoom in and out each thumbnail should not by the way to go.

Below a example Picture for all 3 steps.

1. very bad Quality optimized fullscreen when offline

User uploaded file

2. zoomed thumbnail in offline with a more or less good Quality.

User uploaded file

3. Picture online in full Resolution:

User uploaded file

MacBook Pro (13-inch Early 2011)

Posted on Sep 24, 2015 2:22 AM

3 replies

Sep 24, 2015 3:19 AM in response to stoked77

The offline quality of my photos in "optimized" mode is horrible on the iPad. Initially it was quite good, while my iCloud Library was smaller, but now, with 40000 photos in the iCloud Library the iPad photos have been highly compressed and are very blurry when enlarged. How many photos are in your library? The optimisation has to squeeze 40000 photos into just 65GB on my iPad.The same photos look much better, when I am viewing them on my iPhone with a smaller display. There the compression does not matter.

I cannot reproduce your effect with zooming - I wish I could.. On my iPad the photos will immediately go to the first bad version you have shown and stay this way.

Sep 24, 2015 4:38 AM in response to léonie

Hi Leonie

I have about 26000 pics in my library. Original size is about 70GB. My IPad is only a 16GB version. the library there is about 5GB big.

Did you tried to go the the moment Screen where you have all the 2x3cm Picture overview and then used the zoom with two fingers up to Fullscreen?

Somtimes it opens also the first Picture i tab for Fullscreen in a good Resolution. But when I wipe to the next ones, all the rest is bad..

In the beginning of the Icloud library I did some tests with only a Little amount of Pictures (50 pcs). There I had already the same Problem. So, I think it is not related to the library size. Perhaps it is more a IPhone to IPad related Problem.

i think I need to check once the file size on my iPad for a thumbnail and a optimized Picture with the help of a file explorer.

Do you use also IOS9?

bad offline quality of optimized picture in photos

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.