Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Announcement

Introducing the iPad Pro with Apple M4 chip, the redesigned iPad Air in two sizes, and the all‑new Apple Pencil Pro. Watch the event >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

With iOS9, I can no longer import pictures to iPad Air 2 using SD card reader.

With the release of iOS 9.0 and iOS 9.0.1, I am no longer able to import pictures from my SD card reader onto my iPad Air 2. When the SD card reader is connected, the import features shows up in photo but the images on the iPad are displayed as gray boxes that say either jpeg or raw. When I went to the Apple store for assistance, they tried my SD card reader on a device running iOS 8 and everything was fine (as was on my iPad prior to the install of the new system). Any advice on getting the pictures to show up/import? Or anyway to revert back to iOS8? I use my iPad for all of my photo editing and it stinks that it no longer works... Bummer

iPad Air 2 Wi-Fi, iOS 9.0.1

Posted on Sep 24, 2015 5:29 AM

14 replies

Oct 3, 2015 4:33 PM in response to Torsouth

I have the same problem but I don't think the disk format is the problem. I think it's a mater of how much data there is on the disc. So I tried a new disc which I purchased at the same time as the problem disc and took a few photos with it, I then uploaded them to the iPad with no problem. If you have formatted your discs, they would of course work again, as there is then less data on the disc. Does anyone know if iOS 9.0 puts a limit on the data stored on a SD card?

Oct 4, 2015 3:22 AM in response to pattyg54

I agree pattyg5. The update has rendered my iPad useless again, as I only use my iPad for sorting my photos. I hope that Apple are looking at fixing this soon? I have only just got the iPad working properly after the last problem of not being able to delete photos, which took Apple a couple of years to do something about :-(

Nov 12, 2015 10:40 AM in response to Torsouth

Same problem - iPad Air with iOS 9.1: importing full resolution raw files is no longer possible. Formatting SD-cards doesn't help! Even previously under iOS 7 and 8 imported full resolution raw files are no longer editable with raw editing App Photogene - resolution is only 320 (looks like the small jpg embedded in the raw file)!

Please, please Apple, fix this annoying iOS bug, that's making your wonderful iPad completely useless for engaged photographers! 😠

Nov 12, 2015 12:21 PM in response to WOSIMs Photography

It seems that iOS 9 has changed the way raw files are stored in the Photos App, because raw files, which have been imported under iOS 7 or 8 are still there, but are no longer accessible as raw files by some Apps, like the raw editor Photogene. I tried the recently updated raw editor Photoraw, which is loading all my raw files with full resolution.

So better than nothing, but nevertheless I don't like being forced to change my workflow or my preferred apps.

Jan 12, 2016 1:28 PM in response to Torsouth

Apple does not care about digital professionals. If you're looking for a fix, stop using Apple products.

I have been using apple for audio video editing since I was 15. Now that I work professionally in Los Angeles I had figured choosing the "artsy" Mac OS back in the early 2000s I would be ready to work in a professional setting.

While Logic X tries to hold on to it's professional prowess as a DAW, Final Cut X and Aperture are an embarrassment.

Everything Apple creates and does now is designed to encourage users to be cloud bases home recreational users.

The ability to plug an SD card into an iPad is appalling to Apple because god forbid a used upload their own media without using the expensive media distribution methods Apple profits off.

Apple will not fix this SD to iPad issue, it is not profitable.

With iOS9, I can no longer import pictures to iPad Air 2 using SD card reader.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.