Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Adjusting ringer with side buttons- volume slider disappears

I have an iPhone 6 running iOS 9.0.1. I've been having an issue where my phone won't ring or make any sound, even though do not disturb isn't on and the phone isn't muted. When I try to adjust the ringer volume via the side buttons, the volume slider is gone. Sometimes restarting the phone brings the slider back but sometimes it does not. This is very frustrating! I've been having this issue since I got the phone but I kept hoping the new iOS update would address this issue, as I am missing important calls and texts.

Posted on Sep 24, 2015 7:22 AM

1 reply

Sep 25, 2015 7:54 AM in response to Stacie Greene

Hello Stacie.

It sounds like you're having issues with sound and the volume slider not appearing when you adjust it with the side buttons. The following Knowledge Base provides some great steps to help troubleshoot your issue with the volume slider:

If you don't see the iPhone Volume slider - Apple Support

Follow these steps and test the sound after each one.

1. Go to Settings > Sounds and drag the Ringer And Alerts slider to turn the volume up.
  2. If you can hear sound from the speaker, then the speaker works. Continue with these steps to find the setting or switch that's affecting the sound. If you can't hear sound from the speaker, contact Apple Support.
  3. If your device has a Ring/Silent switch, make sure it's set to ring. If you can see orange, it's set to silent.
    User uploaded file
  4. Restart your device.
  5. Open an app that has music or sound effects. Adjust the volume with the volume buttons or the slider in Control Center.
  6. Go to Settings > Bluetooth and turn off Bluetooth.
  7. If there's still no sound, connect a headset. If you can hear sound through the headset, remove it and clear any dust or debris from the headset jack of your device.
  8. If the device is in a case, make sure that the case doesn't block the speaker.
  9. Use a brush to gently clear any debris from the speaker and Lightning connector (or 30-pin dock connector). The brush should be clean and dry and have soft bristles.
  10. Update your device to the latest version of iOS.

Additionally, this article provides more visual guidance for step 9 of the above steps:

If you don't see the iPhone Volume slider - Apple Support

If there's debris in the Lightning connector (or 30-pin dock connector on iPhone 4S or earlier), your iPhone might think there's an accessory connected. Try cleaning the Lightning or dock connector on the bottom of your iPhone with a clean, dry, soft brush and then test the volume again.

Lightning connector

User uploaded file

30-pin dock connector

User uploaded file

If you still don't see the Volume slider, set up service.

Thanks for being a part of Apple Support Communities.

Cheers.

Adjusting ringer with side buttons- volume slider disappears

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.