Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS 9.0 and 9.0.1 show wrong unread count for Exchange

On both my iPhone 6 and my iPad Air 2, my Exchange Server account shows an erroneous unread count since installing iOS 9. By removing the account, shutting down the device, restarting it, and re-adding the account, the problem goes away temporarily, but always comes back within a short time. I have 3 other email accounts, all IMAP, none of which exhibits the problem. The problem began with the iOS 9..0 update and 9.0.1 did not resolve it.

The server involved is running Exchange 2007 on Windows Server 2008 (not R2). Both Exchange and Windows are up to date.

iOS 9.0.1

Posted on Sep 24, 2015 7:35 AM

62 replies

Sep 24, 2015 10:29 AM in response to drylander

I should also note that the problem does not affect the badge on the home screen; it only appears in the app itself. When viewing the list of mailboxes, it shows the wrong count next to the Exchange mailbox, and when in the affected mailbox, it shows the wrong count in the footer of the email list. If there are actual unread messages, their number gets added to the wrong number. As they get read, the count goes down, occasionally adding one to the error.

Sep 28, 2015 9:31 AM in response to drylander

The count of non-existent unread messages within the app continues to increase, while the badge remains unaffected. I discovered that one problem with the convoluted (and temporary!) fix is that links between contacts get broken, leading to a few orphaned Favorites in the phone app. Consequently, deleting and re-adding the Exchange account, only makes things worse overall.

Oct 2, 2015 8:51 AM in response to drylander

I had this problem, too - I had a "phantom" unread count of 1 on the inbox count, with no badge on the app itself. I solved it by turning off the email switch in Settings, going back to the home screen and shutting off the device, then turning it back on and turning on the email switch again. I had to do this on both my iPhone and my iPad. It worked!

Oct 5, 2015 6:28 AM in response to drylander

UPDATE: 9.0.2 hasn't completely resolved the issue. It went for days before happening again, but over the weekend both of my devices experienced the problem at different times. I was still able to get it to display the correct count by turning off the Mail service on the affected account, restarting the device, and turning it back on, but the fact that it did recur means the problem is not fixed.

iOS 9.0 and 9.0.1 show wrong unread count for Exchange

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.