Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro OS X Yosemite not connecting to wireless network (no problem with router or broadband connection)

13-inch late 2011 MacBook Pro running OS X Yosemite (version 10.10.5) is not connecting to any wireless networks. Every time I try to connect to a network the Wi-Fi status icon in the menu bar shows a graphic like it's trying to connect to the network, but never actually connects. I have left it like this for 10 minutes without anything changing.

I've deleted all "Preferred Networks" and re-entered passwords for various networks, and the problem persists.

I am sure the issue is with my laptop and not the router/ISP because other devices connect to these various networks without any issue.

I have ran wireless diagnostics, which didn't help.

Thanks

MacBook Pro (13-inch Late 2011), OS X Yosemite (10.10.5)

Posted on Sep 24, 2015 10:29 AM

3 replies

Sep 24, 2015 11:00 AM in response to Linc Davis

Tried the above, and just got the message "connection failed" when I am prompted to enter the username and password for the wireless network in Recovery. I am definitely using the right username and password because I have just used the same info to log-in to the same two wireless networks on my phone.

Restarted the laptop as usual and the problem persists.

Sep 24, 2015 11:21 AM in response to carlosmarkos

Take the steps detailed in the support articles linked below:

Resetting the System Management Controller (SMC) on your Mac - Apple Support

OS X Yosemite: Reset your computer’s PRAM

If there's no change, the problem is caused by a hardware fault.

Make a "Genius" appointment at an Apple Store, or go to another authorized service provider. You may have to leave the machine there for several days.

Back up all data on the internal drive(s) before you hand over your computer to anyone. There are ways to back up a computer that isn't fully functional—ask if you need guidance.

If privacy is a concern, erase the data partition(s) with the option to write zeros* (do this only if you have at least two complete, independent backups, and you know how to restore to an empty drive from any of them.) Don’t erase the recovery partition, if present.

Keeping your confidential data secure during hardware repair

Apple also recommends that you deauthorize a device in the iTunes Store before having it serviced.

*An SSD doesn't need to be zeroed.

MacBook Pro OS X Yosemite not connecting to wireless network (no problem with router or broadband connection)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.