Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Trying to install itunes on Win7 64bit - get message "program required for this install could not be run"

At first, just tried to install the latest itunes update. That failed with "There is a problem with this Windows Installer package. A program required for this install to complete could not be run. Contact your support personnel or package vendor."

Tried to uninstall itunes and that seems to have been successful. Now I cannot install it - I get the same error as above. Now I'm completely stuck. I've tried rebooting the system, etc. No change. The install begins and then stops with the popup with the message above. Now I cannot back up my phone or update it. Or do anything 'apple' on this pc any more. What gives?

Apple Software Update also no longer shows in my Programs list. Does that get installed when itunes is installed?

It's a Dell PC, Windows 7 76 bit Ultimate. itunes has run on this box for years without problem. I'm running the install with the only account on the PC - my own which is an administrator account. Even if I right click on the install executable and tell it to "run as administrator" the same thing happens.

Windows 7

Posted on Sep 24, 2015 2:55 PM

5 replies

Sep 25, 2015 11:27 AM in response to bohpet

For general advice see Troubleshooting issues with iTunes for Windows updates.

The steps in the second box are a guide to removing everything related to iTunes and then rebuilding it which is often a good starting point unless the symptoms indicate a more specific approach.

Review the other boxes and the list of support documents further down the page in case one of them applies.

The further information area has direct links to the current and recent builds in case you have problems downloading, need to revert to an older version or want to try the iTunes for Windows (64-bit - for older video cards) release as a workaround for installation or performance issues, or compatibility with QuickTime or third party software.

Your library and device backups should be unaffected by these steps but there are links to backup and recovery advice should it be needed.

If the issue persists and you have a 64-bit system try the for older video cards version which is a 64-bit installer for mostly 32-bit code, similar to all 64-bit versions of iTunes up to 12.1.

If you've tried the above without success then see the method in Install missing components. What component fails to install, and what error message does it give? See this post for steps to produce detailed logs of the installation which may reveal why iTunes won't install.

tt2

Sep 26, 2015 3:55 AM in response to bohpet

try downloading from internet explorer instead of chrome. search for downloading itunes on windows. there is so many to choose depending on yr computer system. recently i hv some problem with my windows8. and it works well on itunes 12.1.3 for older video cards. for reference, there is no options on chrome. i haven't try on mozila or others. goodluck

Dec 13, 2015 3:17 PM in response to TheThinus

Wow, this follows the normal pattern for help on the Internet. 90% of the "advice" does not work (although that nonsense about "regedit" above), but someone someone finally provides the answer...

Fortunately, RocketJSquirrel provided a fix, although I used WinRAR to extract. Once extracted, I went to itunes6464.exe and ran it and it worked fine...

Trying to install itunes on Win7 64bit - get message "program required for this install could not be run"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.