Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

messages - ichat will not video connect or share screen.

iMacs, Macbook pro, lion, maverick, yosemite use to connect but after mavericks and yosemite problem has gotten worst. AIM accounts and servers being used and now 90% of time the called party tries to answer call but connection error is returned. Opened firewalls, used wired (d-link) and (Apple) wireless router connections to computers and no difference. Does anybody have a suggestion on how to resolve ichat video connection problem? maybe i should ichat apple...lol

Posted on Sep 24, 2015 6:38 PM

3 replies

Sep 25, 2015 12:54 PM in response to NPN-ITS

Hi,

I have tested back to iChat 5.0.3 in Snow Leopard.

It effects both AIM and Jabber ID chats.

The only place these connections come together is through the Apple SNATMAP server.

It seems this will allow LAN based connection (Bonjour works as do AIM IDs on two LAN computers). It is the connections to elsewhere on the Internet that appear to be a problem.

If you remember Apple ran several iChat Test accounts at one time. All six of these showed they were connected directly to the internet and did not pass through a router.

I have had one report that setting up a Mac this way may work. An Apple Base Station can be set to allow the computer to Login to the ISP for instance.

Other routers can also do this.

However some ISPs hard code the User ID and Password into the router and so this cannot be done.

In other cases it is totally impracticable based on the number of other devices using the internet.

Give http://www.apple.com/feedback/ichat.html

This Outdated page is the correct place (despite not being updated app-wise since iChat 5.0.3).

You need to place all the info needed in the lower drop downs in the Free text area.

User uploaded file

8:54 p.m. Friday; September 25, 2015

 iMac 2.5Ghz i5 2011 (Mavericks 10.9)
 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 Couple of iPhones and an iPad

Sep 25, 2015 3:07 PM in response to Ralph-Johns-UK

Thank you very much. I appreciate the time and response. I have reviewed the knowledge base and have seen similar problems in the past and some of your responses. I do not believe I am the only one having this problem and was hoping for some commonality that i may have been over looking. I have firewalls turned off, no limit to bandwidth, meet criteria for video, tried turning off multiple account and only use AIM account. When I initiate video call get communication error when called party tries to accept. Communication or Unknown Errors occur. I have noticed connection time is taking longer then what was normal before. Immediately after failed attempt to connect called party initiates and video call back and we connect. Sometime we connect but only one sided audio works. I can hear them but they cannot hear me and visa verse. Nothing total consistent. Sometimes I (hardwired) connects to wireless laptop on other island yet cannot connect to hardwired computer on same island office.

I completed thehttp://www.apple.com/feedback/ichat.html and submitted it but wanted to fill you in more. We are part of the University of Hawaii system and I do not have direct access or know what equipment is really online. Some campuses have installed VOIP phone systems and wondering if this may be conflicting. We connect through a variety of routers servicing multiple offices (10) inter-island campuses. iChat user are mainly aim accounts (using port 443 AOL server) on a variety of Mac Book Pros, iMacs. both hard wired (static & dynamic IP's). iMac Desktops computers are mainly static IP's and laptops are DNS connected through several models of apple wireless base stations routers that are static IP's connected. OS X on various computers range from 10.8 to 10.10.5. using iChat (lion, maverick) up to Messages 8.0. All were connecting with one another until about a year ago with Maverick and then Yosemite OS upgrades. As it gets worst users are turning to Skype, FaceTime but I prefer the share screening of iChat.

Sep 27, 2015 2:03 PM in response to NPN-ITS

Hi,

Campuses of any sort can be an issue in themselves just by having so many routers.

Most people are having issues at the moment with just one router at each end.

I have someone who has managed to test with both computers at each end connected to the Modem (no routers) and have had success.

However this only works where the ISP tells you the Login details that you can enter on your Mac to Login to the ISP.

Many ISPs supply Branded boxes with the details hard coded in before it is sent to you and you cannot access it.

It is also not suitable if you have 3 Macs yourself on line, three Satellite boxes that use the 'Net for On Demand stuff, 4 iPhones, 3 iPads, an X-Box, 2 Internet ready TVs and a Blu-Ray player that is also internet ready. (I sure I forgot something).

Other people will be in this position and not able to take everything Off line to test.

If everyone is on Yosemite then the iMessages account will invoke the Screen Sharing app to connect to other Macs to Screen Share (it has to be allowed in System Preferences > Sharing > Screen Sharing for "Everyone").

It does include a chat alongside like the AIM and Jabber ones should and did but it does exclude all Mavericks, Mountain Lion and early iChat users.

User uploaded file

10:03 p.m. Sunday; September 27, 2015

 iMac 2.5Ghz i5 2011 (Mavericks 10.9)
 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 Couple of iPhones and an iPad

messages - ichat will not video connect or share screen.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.