Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

OS 10.3.9 upgrade / reinstall options

Hi there,

I'd really appreciate some advice on what option you would do. I have a G4 running OS 10.3.9 and I'd like to see if I could upgrade this to a more modern set up.

The stuff I'm bothered about on it is some novel drafts and some photos, all of which I can back up easily onto CD and usb sticks. So happy to do a clean sweep if necessary.

The ideal outcome I'd like is to be able to connect my ipad 2 and iphone 4 to my computer so that I can pull photographs off. I'd also like to be able to connect to a wireless network... and if there was a chance to do my blogging on there, use it as a proper computer to upload videos to you tube, and get my son to connect to his homework sites, that would be great.

Currently I'm using it as a word processor and doing everything else (including writing this post) on my ipad. Most of the stuff we want to do as a family can be done on the ipads, but it's geting to the stage where there's stuff we can't do. So I'm looking for options using what we have, rather than having to go and buy a mac book.

here is my set up:

1.25 ghz power pc g4

21mb L3 cache

memory 1.75gb DDR SDRAM

MODEL power pc g4 (3.3)

PU speed 1.25 ghz

L2 cache 256kb

l3 cache 1 mb

memory 1.75 gb

bus speed 167 mhz

boot ROM version 4.4 8f2

serial number CK*****QEC

I have two drives installed:

Second drive - 297.96 GB capacity - used 10.53 gb

Original drive - capacity 74.52 gb

available 6.82

running 10.3.9

<Personal Information Edited by Host>

PowerMac, Mac OS X (10.3.x), null

Posted on Sep 25, 2015 3:07 AM

3 replies

Sep 28, 2015 12:35 PM in response to MintyTara

Also note with 10 GB available, your boot hard drive is very low on space. You want at least 15% of the hard drive free+ 5 GB to install 10.4 or later.

You can insert up to 4 parallel ATA internal hard drives and 63 external Firewire hard drives to free up space. Always keep at least two copies of your data at all times, and do not install any new operating system without backing up your data.

See my FAQ*: http://www.macmaps.com/backup.html

* Links to my pages may give me compensation

OS 10.3.9 upgrade / reinstall options

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.