Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How Can I Record My Choir Tape Cassets To CD

I am using OS X Yosemite 10.10.5 with 2.7Ghz Intel Core i5 with 8GB of Memory.

I wish to record my cassette tape recording of the Male Voice choir I am a member of, to CD. Using a Beringer control to transfer the cassette recording to the computer, I am trying to use GarageBand to receive the cassette recordings but I am bewildered by the options when trying to create a new project. The help menus are not much use to me. Can anyone please give me some guidance on procedure and setting options please?

Message was edited by: brbrown

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.2), null

Posted on Sep 25, 2015 7:45 AM

9 replies

Sep 25, 2015 8:42 AM in response to brbrown

brbrown wrote:

The help menus are not much use to me.

Why ?

You want to use GarageBand and don't know it, so the first step is to read the manual (or at least the basic parts) to understand what GarageBand is, what it does, how it does it, and how to use it.

If anything specifically you read doesn't make sense, then you can ask a specific question.

At least read the fist chapter "GarageBand basics and "Record your voice". Iinstead of "voice" as the audio source, think about your Cassette tape as your audio source.

User uploaded file

Hope that helps

Edgar Rothermich - LogicProGEM.com

(Author of the "Graphically Enhanced Manuals")

http://DingDingMusic.com/Manuals/

'I may receive some form of compensation, financial or otherwise, from my recommendation or link.'

Sep 26, 2015 1:18 AM in response to EdgarRothermich

Hello Edgar. Thanks for the reply. I have read the manual but faced with so many options, I am struggling to progress. Having stumbled through with a couple of different settings, I found I had no sound recorded to burn to a CD. So, two questions to start with. There is no option to record a pre-recorded voice or voices so should I use the voice option? I have tried this but the message box asking for a title and where to record it to asks for a key but my recording has songs in different keys. What do I do next?

Oct 24, 2015 10:31 AM in response to brbrown

I think most of the users know the answer but maybe it is too trivial to answer, the basic step how to use GarageBand (which is described in the User Guide)

You are getting caught up in words without understanding of the basic concepts. "Voice" just means that this is a template to record an audio signal (and not a MIDI signal). The setting is optimized with additional effects that might be useful when recording a voice instead of a guitar. But it is still an audio signal.

the important thing you have to "tell" GarageBand where the signal is coming from. If your audio signal (from the Cassette) is going into the Beringer, then you have to select the the Beringer as the Input Device in GarageBand so that signal can be recorded in GarageBand. That important setting is done on the firt window.

Her are the steps

This is the first window you see when you open GarageBand, or selec the New command in the File Menu

The Audio Input popup menu looks different depending on your setup. CHoose your Audio Device (Behringer)

Click CHoose and GarageBand creates the Project, and opens it

User uploaded file

Close the Library Window on the left (you don't need it) and delete all the Tracks except the first one.

User uploaded file

Now just hit the record BUtton and start your Cassette to record it

The controls on the bottom (Smart Controls) are optional to improve the recorded audio signal (Equalizer, COmpressor, Reverb, etc)

User uploaded file

It won't get more simple than that, and the more you read the manual and the more you understand it, the simpler it gets.

Hope that helps

'I may receive some form of compensation, financial or otherwise, from my recommendation or link.'

Oct 25, 2015 8:32 AM in response to brbrown

brbrown wrote:

Unfortunately, my screens are nothing like yours

Thta's why you have to list your GarageBand version number when you aks questions. My screenshot are from the current version of GarageBand and it seems that you still use GarageBand 6, which was discontinued two years ago.

In your screenshot select "no Effect". Ignore the key settings

However, your screenshot shows "BUilt-in Microphone" as the selected "Input Source". I thouhg you want to use your Behringer

Hope that helps

How Can I Record My Choir Tape Cassets To CD

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.